What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Avadon 12: Re-start!


Oh dear, I took a week off to do nothing but my Kirkus books (I'm a full month ahead!) when I got a miserable cold. Luckily, Dad didn't get it. First time I've been sick in the eight years I've been doing this. 


However, as a result, I almost forgot how to fight in this game.


Went back to the wizard's lair to pick up a magical tome for the librarian. It was guarded by assorted demons. Got wiped out once and lost characters twice. At one point I was down to nobody but my sorceress, who's always vulnerable, but fortunately I'd already vanquished most of the demons I was fighting and the last one was almost dead. He kept fighting at two shots per round, though. Still, she got it with her trusty arrow. I had even forgotten to give her the "Wand of the Sun" that I won from the wizard. Luckily that's useless against demons (well, except for ice demons). So, silly me.


That just shows you that you need to keep momentum up in these games. Lots of what you do is almost muscle memory, even though this is all turn-based combat that can be left for hours between moves if necessary.


I went back to the dragon's lair in Kva and got that dungeon quest. Nope, it wasn't the crypt ghost, although I wiped him out rather easily this time, as I'm now at level 22. It really was the drake. Spiffy. I've got three drake skins now. One more and I can get two new pairs of pants.


So far I haven't started on my major quest for this segment of the game. I've still got some minor quests to clear up, so I think I'll do as many of those as possible. Then I have to go find my tank (blademaster). It seems that all of your friendly helpers go AWOL at some point in this game. I've retrieved the shaman, now my tank is missing.


I had contemplated going out with just my two vulnerable characters, my shaman and my sorceress, but I think they'd get wiped out. They've both got good range attacks, but they can't use them on every turn. You use up the spell energy and have to wait up to eight or so turns to use the spell again. That's a long time. I think you do need melee fighters hacking away in these fights. Heh. Maybe I should try it just for fun.


I wonder if you get all your fighters at once in the endgame. Apparently you get a choice to attack Redbeard or not. That would happen in the castle, where all of your characters live. So why not give us all of them! I betcha that's what happens.


Anyway, now I'm mostly healthy again, and I'm taking a few days off from Kirkus books. I do want to get the front room finally completely ready to paint--put down my dropcloths, finish taping and get the sockets off--but there will be time for Avadon!


Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment