What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Queen's Wish: The Conqueror: 1 WooHoo! A New Spiderweb Game



At last! A new game from Spiderweb! I had a new experience: I decided to back this game on Kickstarter, with the promise that I would get my own copy when the game released. It released today and indeed, I got my copy! WooHoo!

This is a rather newish effort from Spiderweb. While many of the tried and true Spiderweb gameplay elements remain, the whole look of the thing is quite different. It's very retro, of course, as always, but this game has a whole new look that apparently flashes back to some historic stuff. Never having played the historic stuff I don't recognize it, but it has a real charm.


Very blocky, but it has its charm

I have completed my first mission. Quite a few things are rather different in this game from what I've been used to. The combat is similar, but I'm finding it a bit more difficult to follow. No doubt I'll get used to that fairly quickly. 

I had quite a bit of difficulty retrieving items from chests. So far the only way we appear to be able to get items is to find them in containers. Turns out you have to click on the item and then click on the spot in your inventory/or paper doll figure to retrieve items or to equip them. Took me several minutes to notice that the opened container was over on the right-hand side of the screen.


The items are on the right


Not being able to pick up items from the landscape is a major difference from the games I'm used to, and I'm missing the opportunity to spot and grab loot. Stuff such as gold vases are on the ground, but we can't get them. Also, apparently when we grab things like silver bars from containers, we simply automatically get the money for the item. No doubt that will save some effort in lugging the stuff around, but it also means we have far less control over it and cannot drool over our loot. Hmmmm.

However, so far the skills system seems to be quite a bit easier. I have leveled up once, and when we do that we gain two skill points. It's easy to see what we can get for them, because those items are in full color on the skill tree. All we need to do is click on them. I think we also can unclick stuff to get points back and re-spend them. That's way easier than in earlier games.


Pretty easy, actually


Well I am having fun! A bit different, yes, but still without question a Spiderweb game! I'm playing this on my Mac, because I'm spending far more time in the room with the Mac at present. Also, it is massively easier to take screenshots on a Mac than in Win 10. Massively easier. I have a large collection of cat pics here too, so I won't want for blog pics.

Oh, also, while we pick up companions throughout the game, apparently, we can switch them out, rather as in Avadon. Each one comes with different skills. So far, however, they do not appear to have personalities, unlike in Avadon. 

I have defied the game's storyline and have chosen as my icon an old lady with short white hair. Lots of fun to see the references to my youth. But it really does look a bit like me! Hah!

Until tomorrow! I'm really looking forward to more of this! Yay!

Next Entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment