What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Gabriel Knight, Sins of the Fathers, Original: Bet I can Finish This One!


So, I am undaunted after my miserable experience with the 20th Anniversary Edition, which is an excellent update of the game, if you can get a copy without bugs.

Well, I was undecided as to which game I wanted to play next. This original version of GK1 or GK2, which is also a fantastic game. After being unable to finish the remake, the obvious choice was this one. I ought to be able to finish it pretty quickly, although it does take time to get through all the dialogue. But I know the puzzles!

First impressions, my gawd, is this game pixelated! I hope I'll be able to spot all the items I need. The tweezers and magnifying glass were just barely recognizable. 

Gabriel's bookshop

As you see, it's the same place. But the detail is seriously obscure. The game is just too old for modern computers, but it is playable. However, you can't reveal the hot spots with the space bar; pixel hunting is required.

My first impression is about the very complicated playing system. You have to click icons for "look," "walk," "operate," etc. You click a question mark to get into a conversation. One thing hasn't changed: the conversation system is seriously repetitious. You just have to keep asking about subjects until the character starts repeating him/herself. 

Conversation screen


But the voice acting! Hey, I really came around to the actor voicing Gabriel in the remake (Jason Victor). The guy is excellent. But Tim Curry is beyond excellent; he's a great actor. There is nuance in almost every sentence. It's worth it to play this original game just for him.

I left it right after the initial conversation with Grace. I've also read the newspaper, picked up the items I need, and checked the bookshelf for that clue to the clock puzzle (if only I had recognized, years ago when I played this, that that was the clue to the clock puzzle).

The "Day" screens are pretty similar:

Actually this is a bit easier to read

So I intend to get through this quickly. I'll only post if I have something different to say about this game than I said about the remake. But I also intend to enjoy Tim Curry's performance!

Hope I can cope with the pixilation.

Till tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment