What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Gabriel Knight 2, the Beast Within-1: OK, Let's Go Again!



Having basically struck out on Gabriel Knight 1 so far, the next attempt obviously is the second game in the trilogy. GK2, this time about werewolves, stands out as a truly excellent game, and it has a unique feature: it's done in full-motion video. That mode of production didn't last long, but I really like it. I guess it's too expensive to do these days, but it was nice while it lasted! (Um, actually, this is the only game I ever played in FMV, so maybe this was the only good one!)

Clearly, Sierra spent quite a lot of money to produce this game. I think it was the second game I played, after Uninvited (I spent many years without gaming at all. This game got me into the hobby.) I bought it because I've been studying German off and on for years, and I was in a store in 1995 and saw that the game took place in Germany. Knowing nothing else about it, I bought it.

We're not in New Orleans anymore!

I was not disappointed. There's quite a lot of spoken and written German in the game, and the acting is absolutely outstanding. All the German actors are fantastic, and the American leads also do quite credible jobs, although there are no name actors in this game. Dean Erickson, our new Gabriel, fits the part well and delivers a truly good performance. That was absolutely necessary. (I looked him up years later and learned that this was basically the only major acting job he ever had. He switched his career to the financial field.)

Our new Gabe, Dean Erickson

There may be a problem here, however. This game still runs under DosBox. I don't recall any speed issues in it, however, and I played it at least twice years ago. I know that it runs on my old Thinkpad, however, and I have all the CDs. So, I absolutely can play this one on that machine in case I run into more glitches.

Good thing I have the original game! I couldn't figure out how to get Gabe to do stuff, so I looked at the original manual. Turns out you have to find certain triggers, and then Gabe will take whatever action is necessary. Conversations, however, are pretty much the same as in GK1. You click on topics, and the actors take it from there.

Talking with the nice lawyer

Inventory items are just about as accessible as in GK1. You still have to go through several steps to get your stuff. Here's a nice envelope, and I noticed the stamp has half dome on it, Sierra's symbol.

A little product placement!

Travel is pretty similar to GK1 as well, although perhaps a bit more confusing. You do need to know the name of the location in which your destination lies! Pay attention!

The subway system in Munich. Click on your destination.

And I found a nice reference to GK1. Helpful, because Gabe has money now. He stole it from the Voodoo Hounfour in the first game!

The case that provided the cash

Again, Gabe make tape recordings of all his conversations. I really didn't need them in the first game, but I believe we have to use these in this game.

Conversation with Dr. Klingmann. Hmmm.

I've learned quite a bit more German since I first played this, and was able to understand this newspaper article pretty well! You don't have to be able to read it, however. Gabe will mention anything important.

Eine deutsche Zeitung

I got as far as completing my conversation with Dr. Klingmann. Really don't know what to do next. I'll see what I can figure out tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment