What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Intrigue at Oakhaven Plantation 1: How Exceptionally Kind!



Wow. After my playthrough and review of her newest adventure game, Haunting at Cliffhouse, Cindy Pondillo was kind enough to send me another copy of her earlier game, Intrigue at Oakhaven Plantation. I had reviewed that, gosh, seven years ago for Four Fat Chicks, so I won't review it again. But I lost my review copy when my old Mac died, and that was the only game I was never able to replace (although folks, it costs $4.99 as a download here. Of course it's worth it, but I'm poor until I can get my business started).

Although I have a new pile of Kirkus books to do, I remembered that this game is so easy to play that I thought I'd be able to do a playthrough of it anyway. So I started last night.

It's a puzzle game that we play through two characters, Daphne and her adopted cousin Dominic, to see who will take over Oakhaven Plantation when Grandmére passes away. They compete for the opportunity by completing puzzles.

I started with Daphne, and managed to do the really nifty little letter-arrangement puzzle in her bathroom. First, we must find the objects which, clicked on the right hotspot, will produce the puzzle.

This one is just a little challenging! You have two letters each to arrange, and the trick is to find which arrangement makes actual words. Once you have a word or two it's easy. Getting to those words, however, doesn't happen instantly, making this a quite good little moderate-to-easy puzzle.

My next was a whack-a-mole puzzle wherein you'll have to recognize a pattern to win in the time allowed. Movement-challenged players may have trouble with this one.

The rest of my time was spent visiting various screens and collecting inventory items.

Here's the front entry, which looks lots like the front hall of the Cliffhouse game:


Lots of exits here

I called a halt after just a bit of playtime, switched to Dominic, and saved there. 

I'll go back to the game when I need a break! (The funny thing is, that this is a short game, but I'll probably have more posts for this one than for longer games.)

Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment