What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Scratches 1: Trying the Director's Cut


I got the Director's Cut of this on GOG recently for about two bucks during one of their major sales. I have the original CD version of the game and played it when it came out. I remember enjoying it, but didn't think it was as good as many old adventure players remember it today. This one ought to have more content, so we'll see. The original game was released in 2006, and I'm pretty sure I played it when it was new. So that's eight years ago.

Hey! It has Jonathan Boakes doing a voiceover! In fact, he's "Jerry," who will be calling us from time to time. Second billing! Not bad!

I cannot understand why, but the game won't let me take screenshots. That is completely weird, and issue I've never before encountered. I can get around it by grabbing shots from YouTube walkthroughs, but it will take a bit of extra effort. The video I like has got text all along the top, so I'll have to crop those shots. The other major difficulty is that the game controls use a large hand icon right in the middle of the freaking screen. So, unless it's a close-up, I'll either have to have the hand in my shot or only post close-ups here. It is a very weird issue.

So here's the mansion as we drive up for the first scene (this shot is from the lead-in movie, so there's no hand icon:

A bit fuzzy from the video, but there it is.


Now I normally like to look all around, but I thought I'd just go ahead and plow into this game, so I used one of the two keys I have on the front door, and in I went! 

The very first thing that happens is the phone ringing. It's Jonathan Boakes playing Jerry, the real estate agent who put us into this place. As so often in first-person adventures, the phone close-up is just the receiver floating in the air. 

Talking to Jonathan. Nice phone!

I left off there, just having started the game. Note that this game will take me longer to play and post about, because I have a Kirkus book crush this week. However, after having really gotten back into playing and blogging recently, I wanted to continue. So I chose my next game (this one), and started!



No comments:

Post a Comment