What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Sunday, January 20, 2019

Nethergate Resurrection 1: Everything Old is New Again


I see that I do not have a thread on Nethergate Resurrection! The original Nethergate was the first RPG I ever played, and the first Spiderweb game I played, and it hooked me on Spiderweb and the genre (well, as long as the RPG is turn based).

I did do a review of the original game many years ago for Four Fat Chicks, and you can still find the working link to the right under "My Game Reviews."

Now, I've started this game numerous times and have never finished it. In Nethergate, you can play either or both the Celts and/or the Romans, and I did both of those in the original game. But years ago, Jeff Vogel remade the game as N. Resurrection, and added a bunch of new quests and dungeons. I never finished it on either side!

The reason: This is a long, long game. It takes weeks and months to play, and I always got distracted from it. Plus, I didn't want to start it yet again because I've played at least half-way through numerous time, and I thought I'd be bored.

I'm not bored! It's been so long since I played that, while it certainly isn't a new experience, I'm taking the time to read the text, and am really getting into it! Plus, I have to learn how to play all over again. 


Yes, you will read everything

Including all dialogue (which can be quite funny)

While this is an extremely simple engine with crude graphics, the story and dialogue and text descriptions are all from Jeff Vogel, and that means they're entertaining. Plus, this game may be simple, but it ain't easy. I'm in the dungeon under the goblin pits, and I keep getting killed. There are two areas that I know I'm not yet strong enough to tackle, so I'll have to get more strength and then come back.

Now then. I am not going to limit myself to this game. I will probably mix in some newer, shorter adventures, and if Blackenrock or the full Silent Night come out from Jonathan Boakes, I will stop to play those. But my hope is to keep coming back to Nethergate and finally finish it.

I've started with the Celts, because that's where the basic plotline develops. Might not do the Romans until sometime next year. But I am having fun, and I thought that yet another replay of the early parts of this game would bore me, but that is not happening! 

So I'm happy with my choice, and I'll just keep going.

Next Entry.


No comments:

Post a Comment