What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Avernum Escape: 1



So I have started the new Avernum series! This is an RPG, a remake of Avernum 1, which actually was a remake of Jeff's original game, Exile (which I never could figure out how to play). The magnificent Avernum series is the backbone of Spiderweb Software, and these are his most popular games, so he really does have to keep updating them. And each time he does, he keeps the basic script, but adds all kinds of new stuff.


Of course there are differences. There is a new game engine, which I suppose is more efficient, but I did like the old one. Shoot, I was a fan of "wall bumping" (in an even earlier engine we used to be able to find secret areas by bumping into walls and emerging in the secret area, which usually had a goody to loot). Now we have to press buttons. I note that in this game the button is much much larger than in the earlier games, and in Avadon. Still, you have to keep an eye out for them. I've only found one so far.


Plus, we have transport pillars and jobs boards, a holdover from the later Avernum games. Great!


This time we begin the game in an area that will train us for combat. Also, the art work on the cut screens is much much better. Really very nice. The game avatars are pretty much the same, which is fine with me. Fortunately the quirky characters and the humor is still there. Jeff clearly has used much of the old script. That's great. The old script is excellent--a major reason I love these games!


The skill system is different--rather like the one in Avadon, but with more options. Still, it's similar enough to the old system that I shouldn't have too much trouble with it.


Damn it, we can't close doors to loot places. Apparently that's because of the iPad engine. Nevertheless, I've managed to loot pretty much the same stuff I would have found before. I did have to wait until a character wandered out of sight once. Plus, I already found the sugar. I remember that's the object of a quest, so I won't sell it. 


The outdoors area is quite different. Traveling between cities is seriously truncated from before. In the earlier series, we could wander around for quite awhile before we found a city! Now it's pretty easy. I see with relief, though, that we don't go into different game areas, as in Avadon and the Geneforge games. I'm not crazy about that system. I'd rather have the freedom to explore. Also, I see that we have the world map available from the start. Dunno if I like that. I think it's better to wander around blind at first. Ah well, I suppose Fort Avernum gives you that. Makes sense, I guess, and helps new players.


I've already finished one major quest, cleaning out the sewers in Silvar. I've found Anastasia, and met the guy who tells me about Demonslayer. There's a trainer there, but he's expensive. Also, Silvar has a living statue. I remember that. I think that comes to life much later in the game.


Anyway, for now I've found Fort Duvno, and I saved there. Time to go sleepy byes.


This is just the Demo. Of course I'll buy the game, but I want to see how far the demo goes.


Ah, fun!


Next Post

No comments:

Post a Comment