What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Colour of Murder (1): Starting Over

(First published October 15, 2010)


It's time to get back to my old friend, Carol Reed!

I had started this game months and months ago, but my hard disc crashed and I lost everything I had on the XP side of my Mac. Among the lost stuff were the first three Carol Reed mysteries from my old reviewing days at Four Fat Chicks. One of their folks had reviewed the first two, and sent me all three so I could play them and review the third game: Time Stand Still. After I finished them all, I sent the games back, but kept them loaded on the 'puter.

The crash took care of that. I saved almost all my stuff on the Mac side because it was pretty obvious that something bad was happening inside the 'puter, so I dragged it all to my Time Capsule. But the XP stuff was un-back-up-able.

I had bought a copy of The Color of Murder and had started playing it. Once the 'puter was fixed I tried loading it again from the CD. But alas, somehow I'd scratched it, and despite about a dozen attempts on two different computers, it would never fully load. I'm poor. I can't just start throwing around $$$ to replace copies of stuff.

But I then found out that Big Fish Games had everything for cheap except the second game, Hope Springs Eternal. So I was able to get new downloads of Remedy, Time Stand Still, The Color of Murder, and the new one, Black Circle. Yay!

To the game:

I really like these games. Primitive, absolutely. But gorgeous. I doubt I'll ever have the cash to do it, but I'd like to visit Norrköping (and Polperro, also). I don't care that the actors are amateurs. As I said in my review of Time Stand Still, these people are the Nyqvist's friends. They ought to be amateurs. It actually adds a sweet quality to the game.

So out I go to Carol's allotment. What is an "allotment," anyway? They seem to have them in European countries. Do people buy, or are they assigned, little plots of land for gardens in the outskirts of towns? Seems so, because Carol just has a shed there. Her garden doesn't seem to be doing very well this year. But we have a new case from her allotment neighbor.

Off we go to the first apartment. I note that the clock on the kitchen wall is missing its hands. I find clues. I find a closet that has an item I can't reach.

Now here's something I don't like. Carol can't reach on top of the shelf in the closet, but right there in the kitchen are perfectly good, solid chairs that could be moved to the closet and stood upon. But no, we have to find some obscure inventory item in some other location and cart it back here to get to the shelf. Humph.

Anyway, I go to the kid's workplace and to a theater. There I find a puzzle that I stumped me in my first try at this game. This time I figure it out and get a key. That gets me into another place, where I turn on the lights in another closet. There I find another door which has a puzzle the Nyqvists have used before: a punch pad with discolored numbers. You should be able to tell which numbers have been punched a lot, and work out the code from that. Maybe not, though, because this time I can't work it out. Perhaps there's a code hidden somewhere, but for now, I'm locked out.

However, I find another location that gets me to the murder victim's apartment. I have his key, thanks to my intrepid puzzle-solving. And in there I find several things: a color-coded box that I'll just bet has something to do with the title of the game. Don't have the code for that yet. His wall clock is also missing its hands, and he's into clock repair. I find a key in a green vase-like thingy that I'll need a paper clip or magnet so I can fish it out. Alas, there are no refrigerator magnets to use, as in an earlier game (I keep hoping they'll recycle some of their puzzles). I do find a tall refrigerator, however, and I need something to stand on for that, too. So eventually I'll find a folding thingy, portable, that I can use to climb up stuff. So far, nothing.

I find the guy's boat. Find a boat hook on that, which you'd think you could use to fish something down from a tall place, but nope.

Something strange: I remember clearly when I played the game last time, I got to a sports club and found clues there. Haven't found that yet, although I've progressed further in the game this time than I did then. Must go back to the first apartment and look around a bit more. I did find the kid's membership card, but the game didn't add the location to it's map. Maybe I need to manipulate the card a bit more.

All these locations will have to be scoured a bit better, frankly. I just kinda zoomed along in the game at first, really glad to get back to it! But I figured that was enough for a very busy day.

Tomorrow! Back to the colors!


Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment