What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Monday, June 4, 2012

Darkfall 2: Lights Out (Director's Cut)


Bought this game as an Amazon download* long ago, and finally I'm getting around to playing it! I played the original version at least twice when it came out (once for me and once with Dad), and I will admit that although I loved the first two-thirds, I really didn't like the last third or the resolution, such as it was. 


Anyway, perhaps the director's cut will make things more clear and the final third of the game will make more sense. At any rate, it's sure to have extra scenes, and I don't want to miss any of that. I adore virtually all of Jonathan's work, despite the last third of the original version of this game, and I don't want to miss any of it.


OK. After getting halfway through a very good Kirkus book, I stopped to play just to get the game started. We read how our character, Benjamin Parker, from whose eyes we will experience the game, reluctantly arrived in Cornwall to map the coastline. Jonathan starts setting up the atmosphere right away. We've already had warnings about the lighthouse. First, it isn't on any map. Second, it has a bad reputation, and the townsfolk want those three good lighthouse keepers off that island. One has a girlfriend who's worried about him. Of course, the nighttime scenes outside of our door help to set up a spooky atmosphere as well.


Already I've noticed a couple of different things in this director's cut, although I can't be sure because I haven't played the original in several years. First, there are many, many more photographs in the stereoscope that you find in the cottage kitchen. One of them looks suspiciously like the "original" drawings of Harbour Cottage from Lost Crown, when it was still a fisherman's depot of sorts. Second, I don't remember hearing the sounds of the townsfolk having a cheery evening in the pub as I move around the town. I recall silence in the town at night in the original game. Aside from that everything is the same so far.


The Cottage Kitchen
(click to embiggen)


Alas, the screen pixels are too low for my computer (a one-year old Mac running this game under Fusion, with XP), at least in the nighttime outdoor shots, and there doesn't appear to be a way to change that. Pity, as I always like seeing moon shots in games. Indoor shots are just fine (as above), and as most of the game takes place indoors it shouldn't bother me too much. We'll see how daytime outdoor shots go. I'm betting those will be OK. Well, you have to expect it. The original game is from 2004. Technology has moved on. So far it's running perfectly.


The pixellated night sky
(click to embiggen)


Already I've spotted several well-known names from Jonathan's other games: Reubans, Spivey, and of course, the ever-present Hadden. I know more are coming. And again, Jonathan's favorite date, April 29th, is when the game starts, as do all of his games except for Lost Souls. It also turns up in one of the stereoscope photographs, if you're really looking. Voice acting is the same. Dear Prof. Oogle from Lost Crown narrates the poem from which Jonathan got the concept for the game as we enjoy our boat ride to the island.


I've only done the preliminary stuff: read the always required diary to set up the story (at least it's short), looked at some maps and pictures, hunted around the cottage kitchen, found an inventory item. Poked around outside and set up the mystery, then met secretly with the man in charge who has sent me out on a surreptitious mission to the lighthouse. The boat ride was nice. However, I was told to gather stuff from my room then go to the boat. Never did get back to the room, but got in the boat and off it went.


Navigation in this game, at least outside, is a true bitch. You never know where in rotten hell you're freaking going. Every time I've played this I've had trouble reaching the lighthouse, and tonight is no exception. Click click click--where am I headed and where is the verdammten path? So I saved there, as it's already too late to be playing anyway.


As with Darkfall 1, the save system is more than primitive. You actually save to a document file. Also, you can't get back to the menu from anywhere in the game--but then there aren't any settings there that you can tweak anyway so you really don't need to do that. You can only choose to save, load, or quit.


I did want to get started, though. Fun times ahead!


*(I'd be happy to buy all my games as Amazon downloads. I trust that Amazon will be there for the next several decades, so I won't lose my content. It's usually cheaper and the discs don't get scratched or lost.)

No comments:

Post a Comment