What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Uninvited: Playthrough of my First Adventure!





I already did a blog entry about this marvelous game here. That link has a YouTube let's play of this game.

Uninvited was not only my very first adventure, it was my very first video game! It hooked me. It is the underlying reason this blog is here and I have this hobby.

Finally somebody coded the game to work on modern computers, and Steam has it (plus the old Deja Vu series, which I also have and will play sometime). It was even cheap! Of course I got a copy, which turns out to have both the old black and white version from the original Mac game and a color version. Well, it hardly takes up much disk space. It was published in 1986, but I played it in '89 when I got my first Mac (yeah, the old one with the 9-inch black and white screen. That one.)

I've tried both and I want to do the original. It's nostaligic for me, and frankly I think the color version looks cheesy. 

And it's still the same game!

Comparison:



Mac version opening screen


And in color
Mac living room

And the other one

Note that the Mac black and white version is oriented a bit more to the left on the full screen than the color version, but nothing is cut off. It was made in grayscale and I'm sticking to it.

I've done a bit of exploring of the living room area and surrounding and have found some obvious clues to later puzzles. I'm remembering to open everything that will open and examine everything that is clickable. 

I recall that this game gets rather rough in spots. It's actually scary, although I remember exactly how to solve the first major puzzle. This one:


Scared the daylights out of me in 1989

And of course, when the game kills you, it lets you know:


Comes with audio!

I've only just started. I'm exploring the second story. This shouldn't take me too long even though of course I've forgotten most of it, probably. 

But I'm gonna have fun!!

Next Entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment