What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Friday, January 3, 2020

Dark Fall 4: Ghost Vigil 1: Returning to Classic Point N Click Adventure!


At last Jonathan Boakes has finished this game! He started it just as a small little game, but of course he continued adding to it until it reportedly is quite as long as the first Dark Fall (highly recommended and you can get it for only $5 on Steam or Shadow Tor--Jonathan gets more money if you buy it from Shadow Tor.)

It isn't out on Steam yet, but if you buy the game from the Shadow Tor store (that's Matt Clark's site) you also get the soundtrack and Jonathan's very first game, The Displacement, which he made not to be released, but only for family and friends.

Warning: if you, like me, don't know much about PCs, extracting and installing this game from the website is a challenge. I finally managed it, but still haven't been able to install The Displacement. I'll get it eventually (I did). It's just that I have no clue what I'm doing on a PC. Hint, be sure to "save" and not just "open" the file, and it's also a good idea to make a folder for it. Apparently if you right-click on the extract file you will get the option to make a folder. I didn't do that for GV and got the game anyway, but I should try it for The Displacement.

Well! I got it! And right away, we're plunged into the spooky nighttime atmosphere of a supposedly haunted house. We're the "newbie" on a team of ghost hunters from Oxford. So far I've only just put my toe into the game. Wanted to play all day yesterday and all day today but Life intervened. 

MAJOR DISCOVERY: I and many others players have had a terrible problem with mouse sensitivity in this game. The mouse in many screens jumps all over the screen especially in the night vision camera mode, making it extremely difficult to click what you want. After playing through twice I finally solved it: go into options and turn the video quality down from high to medium. The video still looks great and your mouse will work with no problem.

MAJOR MAJOR DISCOVERY: My problem with mouse sensitivity turned out to be my failing hard drive. I replaced it and whammo! My mouse now works just fine.

I have wandered around quite a bit and found a playground. The house was a children's home sometime in the past.


A merry-go-round. But can you get off it?

I jumped onto the merry-go-round and found it difficult to stop. Just kept going faster. Finally I kept the mouse over to the left (have no idea if that has any effect or if it's all timed) and was able to escape. I also hopped onto a swing set and that worked too, although it didn't try to capture me.

I have found my ghost hunting gadets and have had a brief walkie-talkie conversation with Steve, the head of the ghost hunters. I'm outside the house and I assume that this is the entrance, but there were a couple of areas outside that I didn't explore properly, so before I try to get in I want to go back and poke around in those places.


Lovely atmosphere.

Jonathan has really paid attention to detail and has made the atmosphere quite spooky. That shot just above appears to be part of a cemetery.

Well of course. It's a ghost game. It should have a cemetery. I wonder what, if any, part the cemetery will play in the game!

I'm determined to carve out some time later tonight to play some more! 

Next Entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment