What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Moebius 3: Dungeon Crawl of a Different Kind


I could have used glowsticks in the dark dark dark Chapter 7 of the game.

So I finished! At the last save point I had gathered up 636 out of 679 points available. No doubt I got lots more points after that--but that the was last available save point. 

So it was a solid example of a Jane Jensen game, with her standard gameplay and operating system. The puzzles were quite typical of her stuff.

A few times there are some puzzles that you have to figure out precisely correctly--normally involving a series of actions in exactly the right order--or we get killed. The screen comes up with a menu, restore, and retry button. You can retry as often as you wish. These segments can be annoying but quite satisfying once you get it. I made it though all of these nicely, although I had to do some more than several times.

Finally the endgame: we're sent to a medieval fortress in the Middle East, but we don't get into the fortress. Instead, once we find a way underground, we spend nearly the entire time in tunnels. First one character, then the other. Getting them to meet up seems like a terrible challenge, but actually this maze isn't as tough as it first seems.  There are clues. There's a big dipper symbol whenever we have a real choice to make. At first, when we're confronted with three exits as we make our way through the tunnels and find no big dipper, one of the exits will turn out to be a dead end. So really, it's fairly easy to navigate. I did get turned around once and had to backtrack, but I found my way back to the correct node and went on from there.

Once we hit the real endgame we can no longer save. That is annoying and I didn't like it. One puzzle, not a good puzzle although the graphics are wonderful, makes us choose pictures of the fortress, without really knowing which are correct. However, when we get one right it sticks. I confess that I got lost in that for far too long, so I quit and looked it up in the WT. I just wasn't in the darned mood to fight it.

That's really the last major puzzle, however. After that we have some suspense and some nice cutscenes. 

A sequel definitely looks forthcoming, as Malachi and his new sidekick David finally manage to bond as friends. 

I liked the David character best, and indeed, Malachi did mellow in the end, mostly in his growing appreciation for David. 

The voice acting, as always in a Jane Jensen game, is absolutely top rate. All the main characters were just superb, and that added a great deal to the game.

The puzzles were challenging, with a few just not my cuppa tea, but mostly there were spot on in difficulty. The artwork, except for the cartoon characters, was quite nice indeed. 

Malachi has a vision

It took me 13 hours altogether (Steam keeps track). It was an excellent distraction, but I really do need to do some work, starting tomorrow. Gotta jam it.

However, I'm very glad I took the time to play this! It's a Jane Jensen game, and she ( along with Jonathan Boakes, who makes very different games) is the best!

Great fun, for me at least.

Keep it up, Jane!


No comments:

Post a Comment