What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Scratches 5: Progress, But Now What?



OK! Over the last two days I've made some real progress in the game, and have reminded myself of Adventuring 101: when you're playing an inventory game, be sure to try ALL inventory items before giving up.

I could have accessed that kerosine when I found it. I had the item to do it. If I had adhered to the principles of Adventuring 101, I would easily have done it.

However, not only did I get my lamp working (and I have used it!) but I located the secret room and found my way into it! The combination to the safe simply is given to us. Then getting into the locked attic room becomes possible. I'm pretty sure I've picked up all the items I need. I had to look at the WT a couple of times, but oddly,  managed to figure out one of the major puzzles all on my own, by following the principles of Adventuring 101.  I got into that secret room!

There are some blocks there with letters and numbers on them, but the game is so darned dark that I can't really make all of them out. So if I need that, I will shamelessly go to the WT. No harm in that if you have figured out the puzzle yourself, but just can't make it work. 

I have also gotten into the secret room in the African gallery (again, Adventuring 101). The only stuff there is more letters to read, no items as far as I could find. And that's where the lantern worked! Yay!

Now I'm wondering if our intrepid character will use the darned lantern at night. It's clear that we can't go outside on this "day" in the game. There's a storm raging all day. The lightening strikes at least illuminate the dark game for a second or two, and that helps.

I watched more of the YouTube WT. I'll be able to grab some screenshots and insert them later. 

But now I've read the newspapers in the attic and talked to Jerry again. I've advanced to 3:00 p.m. on Sunday. I have absolutely no idea what to do next except that it will be inside the house.

Maybe the game will tell me. Or, maybe I ought to read the darned inventory journal!

Anyway, till next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment