What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Friday, October 13, 2017

To the Moon 2: Further Back in Time


Now I'm seeing why this game is considered to be more an interactive movie than a game. It is a game, make no mistake, but the gameplay and puzzles almost never change.

We're traveling ever further back into our subject's memories, giving a nice perspective to the storyline. But each time we have to find five objects that will load onto another object which we will "prepare." That preparation, always, is the same puzzle type:

This time it's a rabbit

That's sort of getting old. Actually, these puzzles appear to be getting easier, or I'm getting better at solving them. Once they're solved we "activate" the object, and we then travel back to the next earliest memory, where we do the same thing all over again.

Of course it remains interesting because of the story. And there are some nice references to Doctor Who (I only wish I'd grabbed a screenshot of the TARDIS reference). Plus, our subject's wife is named "River," also the name of the "wife" of the Doctor (yeah, I noticed that right away). So the game is a time travel sort of experience, which is nice.

I'm now about halfway through the game, as far as I can tell. Somehow the lighthouse is a major figure in the lives of the subject. Here are some nice shots of it:




Again, it's a very simple art style. Sometimes that's a bit difficult to deal with in the gameplay. It took me a minute or two to realize that there are stairways in this area, for example:

I couldn't figure out how to advance here--but there are stairs!

So it took me a minute or two to understand what the art was depicting. It's also often difficult to spot all five mementos you're looking for in each sequence. Most of the time you just stumble onto them automatically.

But the simplicity of the artwork and of the gameplay really just focuses your attention onto the storyline, which does appear to be the major point of the game. And it's an intriguing story.

I'm still enjoying it quite a lot!



No comments:

Post a Comment