What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Avernum 3-2: Basic Exploring


Well, not too many enemies, just yet. However, I have managed to slaughter quite a few foes while still in the very beginning stages of the game. I've advanced just a few levels. I can see that I'll need to earn quite a few more before I can exit the caves and get to the surface, where the majority of the game will take place

I considered doing a double playthrough of the original Avernum 3 (actually a remake of the much earlier Exile 3), but this game is going to take long enough. I did get into the bandit lair in the original game and found it to be much easier than this one, although I'd bet that the boss fight was tougher. But that's good! Spiderweb games are never easy, which is one thing that makes them a bit addictive. When you finally slay the tough monster you feel nicely superior.

Also there is Vogel's writing, which has plenty of sly humor. I'll have to grab some examples of that. It adds just that special touch to his games that you can't find anywhere else.

I managed to meet the Vanahati, the magical, deep cave dwellers from the series.
A Vanahati outpost

Clearly once we get to the surface, we'll be coming back down to this area at least during the first parts of the game

Also, I managed to get my entire party slaughtered. Here's the new death screen:

At least it has walls

I ought to mention that this game has completely new music, and it's very nice! You only hear it when you load the title screen, but it's a good new touch. Plus, it's nice that in combat we can do protection and haste the entire party this soon already. Normally in Spiderweb games you have to work your way up to a full-party haste. Very nice. Of course, I still don't have group heal. That's another quest unto itself.

I managed to find a couple of fights that were too tough for me on the first go, but I've gained a couple of levels since then, so I think I'll be able to handle them next time. 

So! Till then!




1 comment: