What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Saturday, September 14, 2019

Queen's Wish 4: Slaughtering Foes



I got my new keyboard! So now I can cancel actions. Don't like the touch of the thing, but it's a super cheapo model so I guess I shouldn't complain. I also finally remembered to look up the keys for quicksave. I've been doing it the old fashioned way, which is stupid. Now I can just use the F3 and F4 keys.

Did most of my stuff in Ukatish lands to the west. The most major challenge was the Mist Maze. Got wiped out on my first try, but was more judicious about how I used my magic on the second try and it was fairly easy to wipe out the three shade shamans. Neat!



You really can't get lost.


Also wandered around in the beginning area looking for the spots that I had trouble with earlier. Found 'em! The most difficult turned out to be just a dialogue choice on my part. If you choose to leave the tower you find, you get away clean. If you choose to burn it down you wind up fighting major slimes. I've learned that I wouldn't get skill points for fighting the slimes, so I took the easy way out.

But I did run into the various environmental monsters, such as this nifty spider:


Very cool. Really not as tough as it looks either.

I did learn a new thing about the game. I fought my way through a haunted mine and could not defeat the ghosts in what appeared to be the boss area. It was a tough dungeon and I had to reload a couple of times before I realized that I just wasn't strong enough to get it done. So I left, but as I exited the place I got a message that I had cleared out the mine and the quest was complete. OK.

Later I decided to go back when I was stronger and take on the baddies. But they were gone. The mine was in control of the living miners again.


Missed my loot.


I think that if I had not reported the quest as complete to the character that asked for it, I might have been able to go back in and do it again. Verdamnt, I missed out on what should have been a good bit of loot. So this, again, is quite different from other Spiderweb games.

But I'm feeling more confident about what I'm doing now. Clearly I'm still in early stages, because the range of items for sale that I can't access yet is pretty large. At last I'm finding more magical items, and I even found an excellent spear in the Mist Maze. Just occasionally you do find a few items in the environment. So I'm slowly upgrading my equipment.

So far I haven't had the option to get new companions. I'm upgrading the ones I have pretty well, so I'd really kind of like to stay with this party even if they don't have personalities. But we'll see. I know Jeff has new stuff in this that I'm sure I haven't encountered yet.

But the novelty is good. Yeah, I know how to play Spiderweb games, but this one is challenging me to learn new stuff. So that's good! So far I like it almost as well as Avernum, and better than Avadon.

Onward!

Next Entry.


No comments:

Post a Comment