What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Queen's Wish 8: Leveling Up


I'm getting ever more deep into the Vol area, and have just encountered an eyebeast! Yay! A holdover from the other games. Also a tough enemy. I beat it the first time, but my lead character died. I didn't want to use a return life scroll, so I just went upstairs and reported the victory. 

Humph. Everybody else leveled up. Probably my main character didn't. 

So I went back and did the fight again three more times and on the third one I slaughtered the beast. Got some nice levels, and am using one of the cultural benefits of my other characters. Also got some nice loot.

But, I have figured out why I'm not playing this game as compulsively as I've played all the other Spiderweb games. 

It's those chests. Jeff hasn't hiden loot all over the place. It's all in easy-to-find chests after we finish battles. OK, that makes it easy, but it also destroys one of the main things I love about Spiderweb games—the joy of finding loot.

I mean, we can't even loot the mangled bodies of our victims. We can't steal stuff from the odd rotting corpse that we find lying around. What kinda adventuring is that?

Really, it's ruining the game for me. The game just turns into a series of fights that start to seem mostly the same. Yes, some enemies are tougher to beat, like the eyebeast, but the variety just isn't there as in the older games.

Of course I will finish it. But the lack of treasure hunting and the no-personality characters is really sucking the interest out of the game for me. The characters in Avadon had perhaps too much personality, but going to the extreme opposite just isn't working.

So. I will of course continue. I'm just not into it as much as usual, and that's why.

Glad to see an eyebeast, though.


Teensy-tiny eyebeast.

Next Entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment