What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Friday, April 18, 2014

Cold Case Summer 3: Finishing


Had to take quite a while off from the game while I tended to some serious health issues and lotsa Kirkus books. However, tonight I have a book so bad I simply couldn't take it anymore, so I put it down and picked up the game again.

Mostly I was able to float along, meeting new folks, as Carol gives you pretty good clues at this stage about where to go next. However, I spent so much time away from the game that I did have to consult the hints more often than I would have liked. My first puzzle, back in the awful bunker, was backward from the way I interpreted it. I was able to figure out some stuff, but the final puzzle is still a mystery to me.

The clue says to use a specific card. I had already decoded that card. It worked on getting me to the last box to open (this game has numerous puzzle boxes), but that was the only number on the card. The hints gave a completely different number. I have absolutely no idea where it came from.

This time we had not one, but two attacks on Carol. The last one was placed, as usual, at the endgame. Figuring out how to get out of that one was a cinch.

Really, some of the items we're supposed to pick up simply require painting every screen, although I should have looked at one specific location that would have netted me a nice item. 

As always, except for the derelict areas the scenery was great. I especially liked the shots taken in Stockholm. Also, there was an odd wooden structure on a beach that we got to climb through. Also, one of the characters propositions Carol (she gets away quickly). Fun.

A wooden pathway

So it was a typical Carol Reed game. Mikael Nyqvist showed up in a minor role, as he sometimes does. Sadly, at the end of the game, there is a memorial to Randy Sluganski, who ran the Just Adventure website. Apparently he died after a 10-year battle with lung cancer. Sad, although my friends from Four Fat Chicks broke away from that site after some disputes with him that I never knew much about. Still, the site is running and active. I was a regular visitor on it for years.

A lovely night shot

Glad I finished the game! Wish I hadn't taken so much time away from it. At least I already bought the next game in the series (Bosch's Damnation). I have a few others I want to play first, but I'll get to that when the mood strikes!

This series always provides good entertainment without too much complexity. Fun enough for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment