What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Avadon, The Corruption 3: Got 'Em!


Wasn't going to play any more last night, but I started watching a DVD  movie that wasn't very good, so I went back to the game. Either I'm much stronger now (well, yeah), or the titans were tweaked here, because I was able to take 'em on and slaughter them without much difficulty. 

First, I snuck by them completely to reconnoiter the rebel fort. Did that and reported back to the base camp, where Commander Odil led us on a major raid of the camp. With my towers (really, I'm routinely using just the suppression tower and the ice sprayer), and with the help of the Avadon troops, which included a sorcerer to keep us hasted and healed, I was able to get those baddies too, although I did lose my shaman and blademaster. But I survived long enough for the troop to win the fight, so it was OK. Got some nice loot, then had to go underground to fight the rebel leader.

The underground fights were much better, i.e, tougher. First I encountered a nasty sorcerer, but I left him and got their smithy instead. Fortunately he had a couple of magic anvils, so I was able to enhance some new equipment and clean out the inventory a bit. He and his construct were tough, but with my towers I was able to get 'em.

Then I went back to the sorcerer. Darn, he was on four spaced-apart platforms and kept leaping from one to another. Therefore my suppression tower could only get him sporadically. He left "infernals" in his place when he leaped, but those were actually pretty easy. I just kept following him around and finally got my party together on one platform. Eventually he'd leap right into my clutches, get hit by my suppression tower and nicely slowed, and I was able to whack away at him. Mostly I had to hit him with projectiles, but eventually those wore him down until he expired. 

It seems the rebels were getting serious magical help from somebody major. The plot thickens.

Next I had to face the rebel leader in her stonehenge-like circle. Jeff used a longstanding Spiderweb tactic there by making her invulnerable when she summoned ghosts. I know that tactic. You have to kill the ghosts and then she'll be vulnerable again. This time you only had to kill two ghosts to get her, and the ghosts were pretty weak, so it didn't take much. Again, kept hacking away at her with projectiles until she took her dirtnap. 

After that I went hunting for loot and was extremely disappointed that I couldn't find any magic switches. I've got the game hacked (with advice from the forum) to make the switches easily visible, and I swear, there weren't any there. Darn.

I did get some nifty gauntlets from her and a few other nice magical things, but the sorcerer only dropped a black oak staff and I've already got one better than that. Well, it'll sell well.

Traipsed around to see if I could get anything else from the area before I left, and indeed, found some lizards, including a couple of basilisks--these don't kill you as they did in Avernum, where you needed a character carrying a crystal shield to get 'em, but only stun you for a few rounds. So again, the game is made easier for newer players. I also found a nice nest of titans with a good boss and a shaman. That ought to have been tough, but I was lucky (or smart) enough to place my towers right where the bulk of the enemies would be, and my towers pretty much took care of 'em as I stood back and hurled projectiles at 'em. Fun.

Back to Avadon, and got some good cash for all the stuff in my junk bag. Finally getting some cash to spend. I can go back and get some more blessings from the hedge witch up in the Tawon area, or maybe buy another house! (why?) Or I could get some furniture for Skyrise Farm!

Also went back to the Corruption before taking on the new major quest, as I've got a few minor quests in that area and because I finally acquired two drake skins. There's a tailor in Monitor Base C who makes good stuff from drake skins, so I got a nice suit for my shaman that will help him make wolves. I'm using the "call aid" function from time to time, but not nearly enough. Really, with these towers and the call aid function, we can have a goodly number of fighters on our side, so it's silly not to use 'em.

However, I got so caught up in the game again (yay!) that I finally looked up and saw that it was 1:30. Oops. Hauled myself off to bed, but not before realizing that I hadn't swapped out all the equipment on my allies. Really, that is getting to be tedious and is my only real complaint against the game.

So I'll probably do more today! Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment