What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Baldur's Gate 31: Gone Too Long


OMG. I had no idea I had left this game for so long. It has been almost a full year! I see that I played lots of fun games in between, but I'm really close to the endgame here.

The problem is that I've forgotten a lot about how to play. I simply loaded the last quick save and had to work out again how to get into the inventories (right click), how to highlight the whole party.

I'm having trouble remembering how to find traps. I know I've got Imoen up to 100% trap detection, but as I type I'm remembering that there's a special button to push for that.

So I'm still in the lower level of Durlag's Tower. This is a quest in the Sword Coast expansion to the original game. I'm nearly finished with it, and am now searching for the famed Demon Knight. It's an optional fight, but hey, I'm there, so I'll try it. I have handy instructions from the WT I've been consulting (even that has moved to a new domain on the web during the time I've been gone). However, the WT assumes you have a cleric instead of a druid, and I only have the druid, so I don't have the handy "animate dead" spell you're supposed to use here to distract the knight.

Well, I haven't found the knight anyway.

I'm just going to putz around and try to remember how to play until I can find the knight. I did run into the lady spirit who runs the tower and she offered to let me go, but I said no, I'll stay. She said she'll still let me out later if I so desire, but mostly people who make that choice get killed down there. Yep.

I still have to remember how to choose spells. I've found areas to sleep in, and that replenishes the spells. (Hmm, yeah, I think I remember--just click on the magic book, choose your spells, and sleep.) I've encountered a couple of fights and almost lost a character or two, but survived. Still picking up loot.

Well, if I keep wandering around eventually the gameplay is going to come back to me. 

I'm ready to register my copy of Avernum 2, but I'm so close to the end of this game, and I have a little bit of playing time, I think I'll continue and see how it goes. It really would be nice to finish, although if I can't, I'll start over with a better party and lots more knowledge, and finish this thread SOMEDAY!

But after the Demon Knight, it's on to the endgame. I know I did everything else before I came to Durlag's Tower. 

Update: And Ha! I'm not only remembering how to play, I'm on the right track according to the FAQ, I found the massive piles of gold in Durlag's Tower, and I'm having FUN!

Onward.


No comments:

Post a Comment