What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Scratches 7: Determined to Finish


OK. I finished it. Sheesh. I just decided that I'd follow the WT, because I really wasn't enjoying the game all that much. The major problem is that the puzzles are deliberately obscure. 

But also, the game is too dark, not in atmosphere which is supposed to be dark and that's fine, but in lighting. You just can't see anything much when you're in a dark area. Hence, I missed the teddy bear and darned near quit because I learned that unless you see that, you don't trigger the ending. 

I was to click on the hole in the lair twice. Clicked on it a dozen times and only got the message that it smelled unbearably bad. Quit the game, went back to the WT, and it just said to click twice. Looked up a different WT and realized that I had to find the teddy bear. 

Reloaded, finally found it, and got the ending. I did rather like that if you watch all the credits, you get another little hint about how things might survive.

One seriously amusing thing was that the game designers put in a picture of Blackwood and wife supposedly taken in the early 1960s, but the picture is of a couple from the 1890s. Also, the photography equipment and book in the maid's room is from that era. Do the game designers really believe that the 1960s were in the Victorian era? The house is from the Victorian era, so they just made the game about Victorians, then realized they had to move the time to the 20th century but didn't change any of the graphics?

Anyhoo, it makes no sense, but it's kind of amusing.

Now then, this is the Director's Cut, so there is another mini-game involved, called "The Last Visit." I think I'll take a look at it and see if I can do it quickly, because I want to finally register my copy of Avernum 2 and get back to that!

However, I can see why lots of folks liked this game. First, it came at a time of a dearth of decent adventures, and this fit the bill. Plus, it's based on H. P. Lovecraft memes, and that's always fun. Horror is my favorite genre, too! The graphics, except for the lighting in dark areas, are really excellent. The voicing was adequate, and I enjoy encountering Jonathan Boakes in any capacity, and he had really the largest voice role in this game. The music was excellent, and the sound effects nicely creepy. Lots to like.

But the puzzles were too obscure for my taste. I don't mind difficult stuff, but making things more difficult by making you do things twice because it doesn't work the first time is just unfair. Not enough clues either. How the hell are you supposed to know to use an implement in the kitchen that was just sitting there before? You do get a hint in one of the letters you find, but not nearly specific enough. I salute with great respect anyone who finished this game without a WT.

That frustration level is what drove people away from adventures.

Plus, I really don't like the kind of movement they chose, with the screen moving around the mouse, instead of the mouse moving around the screen. Very difficult to navigate sometimes, although it doesn't make me dizzy as it does to some folks. 

So, I will try "The Last Visit" and perhaps update this entry, but I intend to close out this thread. I'm glad I got the Director's Cut and played it again. I enjoyed good parts of the game, especially the graphics, music and sound, but not the designed frustration.

Update: Ha ha! "The Last Visit" is just a little mini-adventure tacked onto the original. I must say, they certainly put lots of work into the graphics. The fountain is empty, all the rooms in the mansion (those you can get to) are completely trashed. There's a little bit of find and figure-out-how-to-use stuff. You only need four items, and hint hint, you find two of 'em in one location, so look, look. Really, it isn't that tough to find the stuff, as the game severely limits where you can go.

I rather liked this! It explains with much greater depth what happened in the plot of the original game, and gives it some closure. Only takes a short time to play, and is well worth it!

Makes me feel better about the whole experience! Still like lots of the game, still don't like the level of frustration deliberately built into it. Great graphics, great, music and sound, good enough voice work (I mean, it doesn't have to be Shakespeare), and nicely creepy story. Too dark (physically) in spots. Other than that, certainly worth playing--just don't be afraid to ask for help when your frustration level is at the max.

No comments:

Post a Comment