What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Friday, February 2, 2018

Gabriel Knight 2-3: Getting Grace into the Game



Well I most certainly didn't intend to stay away from the game for this long. Sheesh. OK, it was the holidays and then I got a roof leak and had to put on a new roof, but the truth is that I remembered how tough this game can be and was a teensy bit fearful of trying it again.

No worries, actually. I just got through Grace's whole first chapter (actually Chapter Two in the game) with nary a problem until the very end. And I really enjoyed it! I have spare time finally, so I ought to finish everything pretty quickly! 

I remember now why this game got me into adventuring. It is FUN! And the full-motion video really works. 

So, Grace has arrived at Schloß Ritter (sorry. I'm gonna use the real German letter--it stands for "ss."). The game alternates between Gabriel and Grace. Her chapter, at least this one, isn't nearly as tough as Gabriel's, so it was a good vehicle to get me back into the game. I mean, if you click on everything that produces an action icon, you're going to find what you need. A bit of thought is good, but it's not so terribly difficult to figure out where to go next, especially with the limited playing area.

Grace at Schloß Ritter

Grace and Gerde immediately go for each other's throats. Grace, of course, is jealous of Gerde and thinks she's cuddling up with Gabriel, when actually Gerde was in love with the now-dead Wolfgang. Grace hasn't figured that out yet, but she will. 

The major task here is for Grace to find a way to do her job: research. Once she finds a way to get into the Shattenjäger library things move along pretty quickly.

The Shattenjäger Library

In the library, Grace finds enough reading material, that with hints from the townsfolk she can start to get some background on werewolves. Also, she's getting hints that Bavaria's "mad king," Ludwig II, somehow is involved in the mystery.

Nice church and Fountain!

I did have to look at a WT just briefly to get myself out of a stuckness toward the end of the chapter. When you've done everything that seems to be available, you can either get a little nudge or you can waste time retracing your steps to find that little node you're missing. So getting that nudge was well worth it.

Finally Grace sends her research off to Gabriel's attorney, because she doesn't yet know where Gabriel himself is lurking. 

Putting it all together

There was plenty of very nice German in this chapter, so that enhanced the enjoyment for me. And yeah, I was able to understand most of it! Grace tries to speak it, and I find it hard to believe that Grace, of all people, wouldn't have bothered to find out how to do the basic pronunciation. Still, I appreciated the effort!

Next up: back to Gabriel. And I will not be letting the game gather any dust before I plunge in again! Tomorrow!






No comments:

Post a Comment