What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Thursday, April 4, 2019

Nethergate Resurrection 12: Escaping the Dead


I have escaped the Land of the Dead! It wasn't nearly as difficult as I remembered from my playthrough years ago, but it was fun and challenging at times. I got a couple of decent items out of it too. It involved the usual fights, but now that both of my spellcasters have the "disrupt spirit" spell, it really wasn't all that difficult.

Had to meet with the Lord of the Dead, Bel. He's got a rather frightening visage:


Scary guy! Click to embiggen


The toughest fight by far was a "shadow" bear that Llyn gives you a boon for when you visit him in Nethergate Village. There are supposed to be five of shadow beasts in the game. I've found three. Seem to have missed the shadow snake in the deep Goblin pits--I looked and looked for it. There's also a shadow spider in the Ruined Hall dungeon but I never could figure out how to get to the area where I'm sure it is. I used piercing sight and bumped every possible wall, but there simply was no way in. Missed some loot easily visible on a ledge, too.

Turns out you can't get much out of Annwn either. Once out, you can't get back in. So the solution is to just pick up valuable things that are lightweight, such as gold torcs, and escape with those. Have to leave most of that lovely chainmail armor that the ghosts drop inside. The Romans drop some decent items, but hey, it's so late in the game now that you really don't need money anyway.

After winning Annwn, I went to the Faerie Bazaar and bought the final spell for my mage--Ravage Life. I think I made a mistake based on my years-ago plays of Spiderweb games. In the early games I always tried to get both of my spellcasters to maximum strength, but I think there just aren't enough spell points available in NR to do that. I got all the spells for both, but I never got the spell points to get all the potions. I have the recipes, but my potion guy just never could make the elixers because he didn't have the knowledge.

So, having done everything I could do I'm ready for the endgame! I have reached the Spire, which previously was unavailable:



Impressive, yes?

I've kinda scoured my way through the castle, which got me into a few fights, but I did manage to find a couple of crystal wands, which my ancient memory tells me I will need. 


The Entrance.


A library and lab, were you have a major fight with ghosts.

I've finished the first floor, and have gone upstairs to meet with the great and powerful Sylak, who is managing the Nether Gate. Found him, but quit before I got into the conversation with him. I'm pretty sure that after I talk with him I'll be heading upstairs for the big final battle with the Romans. 


Might not have time to do it tomorrow, but should be able to do it the next day! Whee!

Next Entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment