What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Sunday, April 7, 2019

Nethergate Resurrection 12: Victory!


Victoy! The endgame stretches out into fights you have to find, then once you do you continue to the next one until you get to the final fight against the Roman commander, who has some magic working for him. 

But first we get to run around all over the Spire, where there are abundant goodies ripe for looting, but little reason to take anything because we'll get no chance to sell the stuff. I did at least use a bunch of my consumables. Gulped down the energy elixers and potions. Glad I got Ravage Life spell for my mage, because he used it a buncha times!


Talking to Sylak

We have to place the three major quest items we have won on pedestals near the Nethergate portal. One of them isn't easy, but if you read the text and head in the directions it tells you to go you'll get it all done.

Then we wait:


Sylak opens the Nethergate!

Sylak drones on for quite some time, but that gives us time to chase down the Romans who are attacking the spire. We find some lovely crystal wands that work as missile weapons. Find the instructions and you're good to go. They do lots of damage.

Vibius, the commander, is the last one we find (or so we think) and it does take some effort to get him because he makes himself invulnerable for quite a while, but if you just watch the text you can figure it out and get him.

However, that isn't the last! Nethergate Resurrection is a dual game--you can choose to play either as the Celts or as the Romans. Throughout the game you will find references to the other party, and at last you will meet at the end! You don't fight them, however. That indeed would be a tad inconvenient. 

The game does get resolved, however:


This is the first of several screens.

It's just a fun, fun little RPG, and the very first RPG I ever played--in it's original form when it was just "Nethergate." This is the only one of Jeff Vogel's games that did not do well financially, because people thought it was somehow educational. Nope, it's just a very clever little RPG. I think its dual nature is a really compelling virtue. It's essentially two games in one. 

The fact that the game is so completely retro, with very primitive graphics (even more so than Spiderweb's other games) and gameplay is no impediment at all to enjoying it. Plenty of this game is quite difficult. Once you're into it, you completely forget that it's retro, and just enjoy.

Will I go back and play the Romans? Sometime yes, because actually I never finished a Roman game. But not yet. I have a few more things to do. When I get another itch for a Spiderweb game, the Roman version will be the obvious thing to scratch it with!

So! Thanks for following along! And try this fun game!

No comments:

Post a Comment