What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Saturday, February 1, 2020

Dark Fall: Ghost Vigil 9: Chasing Monsters




I was not at the endgame, but I'm clearly approaching it now! I have made real progress. It turned out that the basement wasn't much (at the time. It is now.) But before going there I decided I'd better clear up any questions or possibilities that I had left.

I have found two more "lyrics" to the symbols, and I have solved the major puzzle in the nursery, back in the eighteenth century. As a result, I have acquired what no doubt will turn out to be a much more effective Jemima doll.

But first, I figured that I'd better use what I found in the old real estate office: the map. Searched for the very well marked area on the map and I found something fairly gruesome, but it gave me an interesting item. I actually already know what to do with it, but clearly, I'm not ready for it yet.

I got another item from the real estate office that I realized would allow me to go into the nursery. Once in the nursery, I found a good item and I knew what to do. The girls had written the procedure. I followed it, and wound up in the very distant past, where Harwood, apparently completely deliberately, unleashed the ancient Dark Fall.


Harwood's Desk 


Lots to find in this room! There's the invitation that Harwood sent to his victims. We hear them arriving as we go through the room:


Accept this at your peril!

Plenty to read, too:


This looks useful

It's a fairly tough puzzle, but I managed to bulldog my way through it and I got the item I need. I think I now have the item I need to trick the Dark Fall, when the time comes.

From there I went back to the washroom near the science lab, and got a hint from CJU's video (yeah, I know I said I wasn't going to do that, but I did. Good thing too because I never would have though of what I needed to do.)

After another hunt for the black smoky things in a really interesting environment (I should have taken a screenshot but I was too engrossed in it), I got another lyric! And I got another lyric from the Shangri-La office. 

Nice! So now I have six of the seven I need. Where to find the last one? I don't think Thomas Harwood would have another because I got one from the Greenhouse, as I recall. I do have one more ID card, but I don't think that person actually died there. 

I have a picture of Ollie, who seems to be the most problematic of the kids. Maybe that'll be it?



Will Ollie want Jemima?


But, I tried something in the Lab with the Bunsen burner. I was able to melt three items together, but couldn't take the result. I backed away and tried it again but I couldn't get the second and third items into the container. Hmmm. A glitch? Or am I just too soon for this puzzle and shouldn't have been able to do it at all yet?

I have been having just a terrible time today with the mouse cursor. In intense scenes it's just almost uncontrollable. It works absolute fine in normal scenes, so it's got to be something in the game. Yet, CJU hasn't run into that problem at all. Is it my mouse somehow? I've tried turning down the sensitivity on my laptop but it had no effect. If it were my mouse, why does it work perfectly well in the normal parts of the game but not in the more intense scenes?

It hasn't been that much of a problem until today. However, I got through it, so despite the difficulty, I will survive (unless the game has other plans . . .)

Later: I did need a hint to progress, but once I got that I zoomed along. I have found the final lyric! I have found and have entered the pink door! I have found something important that Thomas Harding left. I have talked with the caretaker once again, who has given me good advice.



The Pink Door. Important, and I'm in!


Some screenshots from the pantry/kitchen area:



I actually own the cookbook in the upper left corner. It's excellent!


Just a detail?

This looks like a possible clue to something


It seems that as in the first Dark Fall game, there will be trials to pass. No doubt I'll find clues to those. In the first game some of the clues were right there by the trials. I still need to find the entire order for reciting the lyrics.

However, there is still a door at the top of the stairs in the girls' secret room that I can't enter yet, and I still haven't found the clues for the Bunsen burner puzzle which obviously is going to be a major big deal. 

So! More to do tomorrow! Wow!

Next Entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment