What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Friday, January 31, 2020

Dark Fall: Ghost Vigil 8: Into the Sky!



Wow. Quite a playing day today! I think I'm close to the endgame.

But getting there was fun! It's also about as close to getting scary as it's been so far. But we don't play Jonathan's games to be scared. We play for the spooky atmosphere and the story, revealed by pretty decent puzzles.

First, yeah, it's good to listen to that tape. Also, I managed to get into the business office of the people who were intending to market the place as a great little student housing project.



Interesting tape




Poster with attractive offer!


Getting into that office was good. I have a new map that I really have to scrutinize before I do anything more.

I was able to do the astronomy puzzle with no hints! Yay! There's a bit of a red herring involved, but if you observe things properly you can figure it out. 



Nice closeup of Oxford here!



I did it right!



After we finish that puzzle we get quite an intense event! Here the game has a pretty glaring flaw: the mouse jumps around all over the screen when you get into some screens, such as using the night vision camera. In this scene that problem was the worst it's been. 

Update: This is not a flaw in the game. Turns out I have a creaky old hard drive that is far too slow for the game in parts. My frame rate is basically sludge, and that's what's causing my mouse sensitivity.



Ghostly event


We've been through this kind of event before so I knew what to do. The problem was getting the cursor over the area I needed to click. The mouse works just fine in most other places, but it's a real problem in this kind of event. Fortunately, there's no time limit.

After that things get even more intense. 

We get to fly the drone again, and it's really good! However, I've only got four of the seven points I know I'm going to need on the house. Where are the other three? I did find a depiction of one of the missing symbols on the house. Still, I'm sure Jonathan wouldn't let me get this far in the game unless I'd found what I need to find, so there's got to be one more clue about the order of the symbols.

At any rate, after some rather intense messages from "Steve," I have managed to open the padlock on the basement. 




The padlock. Can you open it?



I can! The way in!


I'm pretty sure the basement is going to turn out to be the endgame, so I left off there for the day.

Whew! 

I really think this may turn out to be the best Dark Fall game so far. Starts a bit slow because you're getting oriented, but the pace is sure picking up now!

What's gonna happen tomorrow?

I have to admit that I'm just an eensy bit scared about going into that basement. Just sayin'.

Next Entry.



No comments:

Post a Comment