What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Colour of Murder (2): Well, That was Fun

(First published October 15, 2010)

It was indeed, lotsa fun. Finished my extra-zippy review for Kirkus, and had the whole day free to mess around.

Didn't expect to play the rest of the entire game, but I did. And that was with reading to Dad for an hour, and fixing him a very nice dinner, too.

Probably wouldn't have finished but for the in-game hint system, which is pretty good. I forgot about it for about half the game, but it works pretty well to just give you hints if you want them without revealing the solution unless you want that too. I only needed one or two actual solutions. Did almost all of it on my own. Yet, the Nyqvists always have some tricky puzzles, and this game was no exception.

Plus, this is the best game yet. Finally they produced a really finished game, without just stopping at some point and telling you the solution to the mystery. This one allows you to figure out the solution, or at least the culprit. Then there's a very nice cutscene to end the game.

That sports club I remembered must have been from East Side Story. The missing kid in this has a membership to a paintball club, but that turns out to be completely derelict (although not quite as bad as the Station Hotel).

Also, I finally found the little stepladder I needed to get to high places, and later to climb over stuff. I remember now--one of the ways the Nyqvists add length to their games is to have almost all necessary inventory items placed in some location other than where they're needed. But it allows us to wander about and see more of Norrköping, which is fine with me. Half the enjoyment of their games is the scenery.

I was pleased to see that there weren't any action sequences in this one, as there was in East Side Story. That kind of thing just doesn't fit with these games.

So I just played all afternoon, opened up new locations and explored, found items and figured stuff out. Finally it all came together nicely. Plus, that hunka-hunka Swedish gardner, Jonas, is back. Serious scenery right there.

I'm continually impressed with the Nyqvists' devotion to these games. This one was planned out extremely well.

Most enjoyable.

Now then, should I read another Kirkus book, or should I play Black Circle tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment