What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Shivers 6: Escaping the Monsters


Really getting places in the museum now, but I'm running into ixupi everywhere, as usual. Problem is that I know where they lurk, so it makes things a bit more tense. However, now that I have the game playing on the iMac in almost full screen, I can evade the monsters much more easily. 

But! I got into the theater (had to do the door puzzle twice when I went back later--normally you shouldn't have to solve a door-opening puzzle more than once--hmmm.) Found the marvelous little film with Windlenot, and, alas, got into the clock tower. I remember that clock-setting puzzle. Not my favorite. Figured out how the chains work, re-set it to 12:00, and left it for later when I'm more in the mood for math.

I still couldn't solve the chinese checkers puzzle. I really tried. Then I printed out the solution from the Gameboomers walkthrough, saw where I ought to end up, and couldn't get that configuration on my own either. Problem with that puzzle is that you have to think well ahead. It's a good chess-players puzzle. Even though I normally can figure out chess puzzles, this checkers one is beyond me. Well, it's infamous. One of the most difficult puzzles in puzzle-gaming history. There was a separate WT just for that puzzle on Gameboomers.

I found the basement electrical room too, but because I know that's the endgame location, I stayed outta there. The electrical ixupi lurks there, and he's always the last one you get. I think the ashes one is always first, and the rest just might be randomized. 

Solved some nice puzzles though. The Egyptian sarcophagus puzzle, three door puzzles, the Sumerian lyre puzzle, the drums puzzle, and the siren singing in the Atlantis room. Didn't go into the maze though. I'll save that for later. It is of course easier for me, all of it, having played the game several times, even though it was years ago. These puzzles do seem on the easy side anyway (except for chinese checkers)--if you've spotted the clue somewhere along the way--usually in the books you find--you've got many of them. That flashback feature is excellent in this game. You still have to take some notes, but it saves a ton 'o time.

I've found both Beth and Merrick's ghosts. I must say, that except for the opening and closing scenes and that one awful VO from the sphinx in the Egyptian puzzle area, the acting in this game is pretty darned good. Windlenot takes some liberties going overboard, but he should. The narrator is really great--very Rod Serlingish, but with nice dry humor.

Tomorrow I'll venture into the third floor. Had good fun today. (And I was able to find Ferazel's Wand and load it, and it works perfectly!)

Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment