What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Avernum Crystal Souls 19: Finally, a Tough Fight!


I've finally found a fight I'm going to have serious trouble winning.

First, I did the Lava Dome quest in Vahnatai lands. That got me a Phoenix Egg from the main Vahnatai mage, and plus, it was the most fun quest so far in the game. Mostly humor. But you need the Dispel Barrier spell to do it.

Then I went back and slaughtered all the mages in the Ziggaurat. By this time it was easy peasy. At the time I was at about level 28-29, and I've been finding some really nice gear. The stuff that sparkles is the best. And finally, when I find something better than a good thing I already have, I'm selling the weaker object. Lotsa cash in those things.

I also got the demented crystal soul at the entrance to the volcanic lands in the Vahnatai area. That was a fun kinda puzzle fight. 

And plus, I did a few of the more minor quests. I found Thompson, and that one about made me quit the game, until I realized that it was just a fight. You have to step on some runes to open a gate, but absolutely no matter how you step on 'em it doesn't work. Finally I realized that the runes were changing to colored squares. Once you got all four stepped on, you were surrounded by spore beasts. However, I did notice that the gate opened! So, it wasn't a puzzle per se, just a fight. Beat the spore beasts and you're in.

Also, I'm tracking down the spy in Blosk. I know who it is, but I'll have to find some way to read a burned paper before I can prove it.

I went to the Scree Pits and the half-finished fort and nabbed the blue pass. Now I have all three. Used that to get to Kothar, where the Orb of Thralni is stored.

And this turns out to be the toughest fight of the game so far. I'm at level 30. I'm stronger than overcooked lizard meat. I've beaten everybody in that fort, including a lich and all the Empire wizards, who are fond of charming my stupider meat shield characters.

But I have found the chamber that holds the Orb. As far as I can tell, there is no way to get to it without triggering a fight so massive that it really seems impossible to beat.

Which means . . . there must be another way in. I found clues in books, things like "press the right eye of the gargoyle," and so far I haven't found any gargoyles. 

That means there's another way in. OK! (thinking as I type, here). Next time I will continue to search the fort, observe the map, and try to find the secret.

One good thing: I have gathered up some fabulous loot in this place! And of course, you need the Orb, which lets your party fly for short distances, to get to otherwise inaccessible places.

So now I've got the Blessed Athame. I'm gonna figure out how to get the Orb. Then I need to rescue one more Crystal Soul and I'll get Demonslayer. 

Yep! There's still a lotta game left to play! WooHoo!

Update:  Ha ha. OK, there is no other way in, but when I was trying to exit, I finally triggered that gargoyle eye. All that did was keep me from falling into a pit--something I'd avoided earlier by using Move Mountains. I thought that would turn off the defenses in the Orb chamber, but no. However, I defeated it pretty easily. The trick is to not try to defeat the defenses, just run in, grab the orb and run out while your meat shields keep the golems and eyebeasts away from  the door. I gave Mycroft an invulnerability elixir and hasted him and went into combat mode before I entered the chamber. Aldous kicked off the defenses, but I was able to run in and grab the orb, and got outta there before I got killed. (Well, Max got killed, but I used Return Life so that was no problem.) And I've already used the Orb, and it works!

(Another way to do this that ought to work: just shield and haste one character and get him to where he can take the Orb. Everybody else stays outside. If he gets killed, no matter. Just Return Life and he ought to have the merchandise in his inventory.)

Ha ha.

Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment