What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Avernum Crystal Souls 20: Taking Charge!


Well I am taking charge of the game now. Sadly, I fear that means I'm way more than half done. I've now got the Blessed Athame, and the Orb of Thralni, which is coming in quite useful. I have just returned my second Crystal Soul, so I have earned Demonslayer. I left off in the middle of fetching that.

I trekked up to Empire lands, and visited Harston. Along the way I slew Elderan in his tower, which was kinda fun. Bit of a puzzle there but not too difficult. Found Harston and spent the night there, then, because I was so close, I explored further.

Found a nice boat to get me to the Northern Islands and into the Empire Records Archive. I remember this from the earlier incarnation of the game. You have quite a few fights, but eventually you get around into the whole area. So now I have the information I need to destroy the Empire Portal, which is one of the three major quests of the game. I will need to get the Onyx Scepter for that, however. It's the only major item I don't have yet.

But before I get into endgame stuff, I want to clear out my quest list. Plus, I have one more Crystal Soul to save.

I have discovered a bug. There is a quest to fetch three statues from the giants. I know for certain that I got all three, but the game is only giving me credit for two. I went to the Spiderweb Forum and looked it up, and yup, I got all of 'em. Sadly, I also destroyed all the altars. So, apparently, I won't be able to get the reward for that quest. I think I'll mention it on the Forum. When I grabbed the last statue it was during a fight, and somehow the thing just didn't register.

I have reached Level 30. I'm not getting any more training points, but I do believe that another task will be to go to all the trainers and spend my cash on trying to get my spellcasters more battle disciplines. Plus, I've got a stash of wisdom crystals I haven't used yet. Probably silly of me, but they would only have hastened my arrival at Level 30, and I really didn't need 'em. However, I did notice that Aldous is at Level 31. I think what might happen is that you still can accumulate points, but only every five levels or so.

I've got both my fighters up to all the battle disciplines, and those can be quite useful. 

So I'm pretty strong now. I cleared out several drake areas in the Islands and I have two black drake fangs. However, I have three characters who want them, so I'm going to have to choose. Jeff likes to give players little dilemmas like that.

Anyway, sadly, although I'm having massive amounts of fun, I fear it will end soon. This really is the best game of the six, I think. The humor keeps up all the way through, and the puzzles are nifty.

Till next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment