What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Avernum Crystal Souls 24: Getting to Garzhad


So just as I was ready to deal with the final quest, killing the evil archmage and Empire baddie, Garzhad, Life intervened and I had to stop for awhile. Had rush Kirkus books, and a dear friend as a houseguest.

But I'm taking some time tonight to do the deed. Except that so far, Garzhad has defeated me. 

Up to that point, however, I was doing well. I went back to Vahnatai lands and found a little area I'd missed--a cave of some nasty undead types south of Mancuso. Of course by this time I'm way stronger than any silly lich, and the whole host went down with one blow. Got a rather nice item from it. Also, I hate to miss anything! So glad I found that.

Back to Avernum and I judiciously used as many wisdom crystals as I needed to get everybody a nice couple of points. Those will be the last. I still have some wisdom crystals should I need them to restore spell points, but it doesn't look as though that's going to be necessary. I have way more energy elixirs than I'll need.

For the longest time I couldn't figure out where Garzhad was hiding. Finally I realized that there was a destination offered by the Tower of Magi main portal, and yup, that's the spot.

Getting to him is a bit of a puzzle, but not too tough.

Garzhad, however, is tough. I really thought I had him. He was down to just a few life points when he killed my spellcasters all at once. What?? Well, I had some return life scrolls, so I used those only to have the same thing happen.

I think I'm going to have to push him into a corner and surround him. Yeah, he can teleport my guys away, but I've just got to keep smashing him. Once Demonslayer gets in one knick, he turns out to be vulnerable to any other kind of attack. Oddly, arcane blow seems to do nicely against him.

I've got some invulnerability potions and I'll spread those around and be sure my guys stay shielded. Also, I think I'll have to concentrate on just him. He gets allies, but I'll just ignore them and keep on bashing him. No doubt once he's dead I'll still have to fight the minions, but that will be a piece 'o cake after he's well and truly slaughtered.

Said slaughtering, however, will have to wait for tomorrow. I don't really want to try it again right now.

It was fun getting to him though! 

So, tomorrow for the big finish. Glad I left him for the last quest, because he is the toughest.

Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment