What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Avernum Crystal Souls 25: Endgame


Aha! I finally got the guy. Took about four tries. I was right that the trick was to just ignore the minions and keep whaling at him, but I finally realized that melee damage just didn't do much, so I switched to the wands I had left for my melee fighters, unless they were right next to him already.

Plus, I think I finally got a little bit lucky.

Finally got him

On the Spiderweb Forum they said that he gets stronger as he lives on, so you have to take him out as quickly as possible. He has lots of points, so you need massive attacks on him to do the job. Once he stays alive long enough, he takes your characters out with one blow even if they have invulnerability active. This time he only got Aldous, but he was so close to zero that I just managed to get him with one stomp of Divine Retribution by Cordelia.

So the game is won!

We emerge victorius! But still underground.

For whatever reason the medals the game gives you didn't completely work. I don't have the medal for returning the first crystal soul, although I got all of 'em. Hmm. Also, I never did find out how the game lists the level of spell you have. I ought to have found all the level three spells, but there just isn't anywhere to check that. Plus, I did every quest in the game, I reported back to King Micah, and never got Royal Clearance, despite asking for it. Maybe there's another trick to it? So I don't have that medal. Also, I did not try to slay a dragon, and I don't want to.

One weird thing: I never got to the Lair or Kothos, the dragon who has gone over to the Empire. I must check that out sometime. Everything else appears to be done. I have, as I always like to do, sucked the marrow from the game.

Thoughts: I went back and looked at the original game. Wow, that was way back in the era of wall bumping! The original really did need a tune-up. This one is way more sophisticated. I lost track of the improvements because by the time Jeff got to making Avernum 6, it was pretty much like the model he uses for these new remakes. But the only other version of this one is ancient. Still works though!

I've decided that the next way to go with these games is not to try to get the adrenaline rush battle discipline for my spellcasters. I never made it, and I could have used the spell points better, I think. Next time I'll use some swordmage traits on my priest too, and make two full shamans and archmages. That will give me much more power than just trying to get adrenaline rush. I'll have to put some points into things like hardiness and quick action and resistance, of course, but I'll concentrate on making both spellcasters full dualists. 

I did not play the entire game on normal, although I did play the first incarnation of it on normal. When I switched to humans I played on casual just to get through the demo area. Yet, I did get the medal for completing the game and never setting the difficulty below normal. I actually did do it. I just did it in two parts.

It's a fun fun game. It was more than worth my twenty bucks. 

Now, I'll finally have to go back and finish Baldur's Gate, if I can remember how to play!

Great game.



No comments:

Post a Comment