What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Avadon the Warborn 13: Is Anything Different Here?


Humpf. I've been noticing something about this latest Spiderweb game. I'm not enjoying it as much as usual. True, I've always preferred the Avernum series to this one, but I still got a charge out of playing the first two Avadons. This one though, humpf.

The only thing I can find different is that there aren't nearly as many secret rooms in this game. I've always adored finding secret rooms, from the first Spiderweb game I played, the original Nethergate. This game started with a few, although a diminished number, but I haven't found one in a long time, and I've been looking.


So far it's just the same old same old, but without the thrill of finding the secret rooms. Same enemies, same fights, same basic storyline, same loot. Plus, we don't level up fast enough, and that puts a damper on things. Can't get to the full strength that would be so nice to reach. There just aren't enough points available.

Sure, I've had some tough battles that were challenging. The Warborn Arena fight almost did me in, but with advice I got through it. I got past the demons guarding the dragon's horde by just picking them off two at a time. Easy, if a bit tedious. I got through the librarian fight on the Svar Penninsula with some thought and that was fun, but the rest of it is just too much of the same thing all the time.

I'll finish it. I know I have to be approaching the endgame, although I still have a few major quests to do, but I'm not enjoying it as I have enjoyed these games in the past.

This one's just OK.

I wonder if Jeff indeed is burned out on making these games, and that may be coming through into the game. Or is it me? Have I finally had enough of the Spiderweb brand? I've joyously played them for 20 years or so. I'll give it another chance with the next one, no doubt.

As to this game, we'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment