What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Gabriel Knight 1-7: BUMMER! Game glitch! Can't finish!



Another verdamnten Steam game with a glitch!!!! I can't finish!

This isn't the first one. Steam's copy of Syberia 1 doesn't work either.

So I got through to the endgame. The real endgame. I did all the Schloß Ritter stuff. I went to Africa and solved the tiles puzzle in the snake mound. I defeated the mummies. Uncle Wolfgang did what he had to do to get me the talisman.

The snake mound with the tiles puzzle

I go back to New Orleans. I'm in the secret hounfour and I'm ready to get to the final scenes. But . . .

I've got to summon Dr. John to get him out of his room so that I can steal his keycard. If I don't do that, he kills me. To do that, I have to play the drums with the Rada book. It's got the "summon" command. But there is supposed to be a page four, with his code name on it. I have to click "summon" on page three. Fine. Got that.

Then I have to click "Brother Eagle" on page four, to summon Dr. John.

There is no page four in my Rada book.

I have checked two written walkthroughs and a video playthrough. There is supposed to be a page four. There is not one in my copy.

There is no forward arrow. I cannot get to page four.

This means that I cannot finish the game.

I'm betting that the GOG copy is intact, but I don't want to spend $20 to buy it. 

I hate Steam. For lots of reasons, but this is the worst. They have lousy quality control.

Still, I have a copy of the original 1993 game, and I got it from GOG. I bet I can finish that one! Anyway, I want to play it to see what changed in this new edition.

So, that was Gabriel Knight, Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition. It was super fun, as far as it went. Play it! Just don't buy it from Steam!

UPDATE: Fortunately, these days we have YouTube. I was able to watch a video of the endgame, so I know what this version did. I wish I could have found out how many points I got, though. In the YouTube video, the Narrator's voice was on. So glad I turned that off. I always found that annoying, and this version was pretty similar to the original. BTW, no kind person can email me a saved game to get me beyond the glitch point. That point is the last place you can save in the game. Anyway, I have wishlisted the game on GOG and will buy it next time it goes on sale. I need a fully working copy of this great game. I'll probably want to play it again in a few years. And, maybe I can import my save file from this copy to the new one, if I can figure out how to do that. 

But I have started a playthrough of the original game. At least this glitch answered the question of which game I should play next!

Happy gaming. Just buy your copy on GOG.




No comments:

Post a Comment