What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Monday, November 6, 2017

Gabriel Knight 1-2: The Fun Begins!


So I really plunged into the game today and got started. I am going to have some serious fun! 

Confession, I did look to see where to find some of the beginning items that you need to get from the bookstore. These used to all be on the desk, but now a couple of them are in a new cabinet in the center island that has the coffee machine. Once I got all those things I was able to get the mime in Jackson Square to follow me. I did remember that part of the game with the mime (I have studied the art of mime and love it, but most people hate mimes and this game will engender that emotion in you as well), but he wouldn't do anything until I had all the items. After that things were pretty much a cinch (they won't stay that way).

I'm figuring out how to use the new inventory system, which is a bit different, but is fairly easy compared to Jane Jensen's usual overly complicated inventory systems. Yeah, you still have to go in and choose what you want to use, and it would be better to just be able to pick it out from above or below the screen the way most games work, but it functions. OK.

Once I got the mime puzzle solved I was able to get to the first crime scene. Didn't have any trouble dealing with everything there. The space bar reveals all the hot spots, and I recommend using it. This is a complex game and if you miss something you can get to frustration fairly quickly. Hey, even after you know where the hot spots are, you still have to figure out what to do with them. Pixel hunting is not what I call great gameplay.

The art work has some nice stuff for the cut scenes.

At the first murder scene

Once we get through the crime scene, we can go back to the bookstore and trigger the end of the first day, and really get going with Day 2:

Looks just like the original game

Now we can really get going in the game! First, we have to get some major information, starting with learning about Voodoo. For that we go to two places, a local drugstore dedicated to voodoo "curios," and the Voodoo Museum. The drug store gives us a few bits that we'll be following up on later, as I recall. But the museum is a major site that figures hugely in the latter part of the game. For now, though, we just talk ad infinitum to the proprietor, and learn about voodoo.

The Drug Store

An exhibit in the Voodoo Museum

After all that talk about voodoo, I got a Steam achievement, "Voodoo Studies 101." Nice!

Really excited about getting back to the game tomorrow, but I do have to go shopping so it won't be a long playing session. I am wondering when I'll get to go and see Gabriel's grandma. As I recall that was one of the first things we did in the original game, and it had a major puzzle in the attic. Ah, I'll bet it's on the map outside of New Orleans! I will check that first thing when I get back to the game tomorrow.

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment