What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Avernum 3-6 Giants and Mirrors, Oh My!


More progress! Jeff Vogel, the game designer, likes to use mirror puzzles. There is one in this game. I hate mirror puzzles, but I decided that I am smart enough to figure it out.

But first, I had to get through the giant's lair, free their human prisoners and find the clue to the concealed tunnel that controls the unbreakable barrier that separates the troglodytes and giants. However, we will destroy the barrier! By doing that, the troglodytes and giants will spend all their time warring against each other and leave the humans alone. Clever, yes?

Had lots of fun with the giants last night. I have the old A3 hint book from the second version of the game (this is the third). It says you can go into the giant caves one way, but go by way of the forge instead. Yes, the fights are tougher, but I was able to beat all of 'em but one (there's a corner where you a pretty powerful demon and I decided to go back to do that one). But (mini-spoiler here) it's in the forge that you find the legendary weapon Smite, the magical pole weapon that does extra damage, lots of extra damage, to giants. It's really helpful to have that when you fight the rest of the giants. Fortunately, I did that.

Lots of lava!


That done, we can venture into the main Giant cave and eventually find the puzzle that leads us to the clue. This is a typical puzzle. No labeling. You just have to try stuff until something happens.

Control Panel doesn't tell us much

Really not that tough, if you just keep trying. But after that we have to find the tunnel, and that is not easy. The old A3 hint book doesn't help--it's in a different location this time. After some frustration, I looked around at the map and found it.

But then we're faced with that mirror puzzle. And not just one! We have two areas, and three if we went to open a gate to get into a tempting treasure chest. Eventually I figured it out. Yeah, I got zapped a few times, but the zaps don't actually kill you unless you don't heal and then get zapped again.

The zapping will commence

That done, I decided it was time to try to join the Anama, the anti-magic cult. Although you lose your mage spells, you supposedly get priest spells that are so good you can finish the game nicely with just those. So I saved the game, joined, got the spells (only one of which is unavailable elsewhere), and then unjoined. But after I unjoined, my mage spells did not come back! So, not worth it at all, I think.

There are fake Anama rings that you can buy somewhere, which allow you to go up and get that one level-3 spell, buy stuff from the merchant, and leave. I think I'll just do that when I find the fake rings. 

So having finished two of the main quests, I'm off to fight the golems in a whole new area that I have not yet explored! Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment