What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Gray Matter 2: Detective Work


Fun continues in Day Four. Spent Day Three with David, whom I enjoyed playing lots. Yes, the voice indeed is too old for the avatar, but I understand why they cast the guy anyway--he's excellent. Way good enough to overcome that little inconsistency. The character morosely mourns his dead wife and is trying to reach her ghost, whom he thinks is trying to contact him. That means that he's got abundant lines sighing about this and that item that reminds him of her. Tough acting job, but this guy convinces us that he really feels these emotions. It's probably the best voice acting I've heard in a game.


As to gameplay, fun happens in adventures especially when you hit a stuckness but find your own way out. That happened three times on Day Three, but the first time I got lucky and just happened to try a hot spot I was near, and presto! Got a little scene.


The second stuckness was much worse, and I think was intended to be. You have to find five items. The first four are lead-pipe cinches. The fifth one isn't difficult to find, but you have to refine the search with a multi-layered puzzle.


I overcame the third stuckness by just doing some classic adventuring: go around and click on every freakin' hot spot you can find. Fortunately, I started with one that made sense and presto! Day Three ended and I switched over to Sam again.


So now I'm in Oxford with Sam, investigating why odd psi stuff is happening. I've made some progress in the investigation and in Sam's latest riddle: Sam wants to get to the Daedelus Club in London--a mecca for magicians. She finds riddles from the club that involve visiting locations in Oxford, solving simple puzzles and finding items. Sam and I already solved the first riddle--easy stuff, except that I went crazy by not seeing an obvious thing in the last part of it. Easy puzzle unless you don't use your eyes. Still, I finally saw the last clue and everything came together. Very easy puzzle.


This second riddle is a bit different. The first riddle spelled out the next location you need to access all along the trail. This riddle makes you investigate that too.


Also, the other two plot threads I'm following have stalled.


So tonight I will revert to classic adventuring: I'm going to every location and hitting every hot spot, no matter how trivial it may seem. That will break me out of it.


In the meantime, I am so enjoying playing a new, quality adventure! Yay!


Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment