What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Gray Matter 4: Time for Alice



Hooray! I did David's Day 5 almost without putting a foot wrong! Now I'm working on the Alice-in-Wonderland riddle for Sam in Day 6. But first, Day 5.


I remain impressed with the actor. Also, the artwork in this chapter is just spectacular. So far David's chapters are cakewalks, while Sam's are much more challenging, even though there usually are enough clues to send you to the next location in the thread. What's becoming very nice about this game is the same thing that was nice about the GK series: despite good puzzles and top-notch adventuring, the main attraction is the story. I'm really getting into the story now.


More ghostly activity happens in Day 5. Also, David remains absurdly morose three years after his wife's death. My prediction: David will die in the end so he can be with Laura. Most likely he'll sacrifice himself to save Sam from something, because we now know there's a malevolent force at work. I think Laura is either trying to warn David or she's trying to clue him in to the fact that she was murdered. But there's clearly someone with evil intent toward David, and we had a major clue in Day 5 that it's female. So that narrows it down to either Helena or Angela. Me, I'm thinking it's Angela, because she'd be more likely to have supernatural powers.


I really like what the game's doing with the fact that the scientist is the believer, and the street girl is the skeptic. Role reversals can be fun. The modern skepticism movement started with magicians. They know there is nothing paranormal because they know all the tricks. It was Houdini who started exposing mediums. They couldn't fool him for an instant. James Randi, a magician, allying with Carl Sagan and other scientists started the current movement.


It's pretty clear that the solution isn't going to be trickery here. This is a game, after all. Sam will become a True Believer. Still, I love it that the game is highlighting trickery.


I'm closing in on the "C Railer Swoll" Alice-in-Wonderland riddle. I know it's an anagram, but even using an anagram solver doesn't generate anything that makes sense. I've collected all the "pieces of gold" and have solved the rebus puzzle and I know what the next location is. Going there next. Because this really is a quite easy game (unless you miss something crucial), the solution may pop out at me once I get there. Onward!


Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment