What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Lights Out 9: Fun in the Future


I've been gone a long time. Dad, at age 94, passed away. I've been dealing with financial stuff and some rush Kirkus books, along with just missing Dad. It's time I took a bit of relaxation for myself, so I have returned to Lights Out.

I did take a brief trip to 2000 B.C., and found some clues. Also hunted around and found Malakai, the space probe from the future that I know is the cause of all the trouble. What remains to be seen is: how? We never learned that in the original game. I doubt we'll learn it now, as Jonathan tends to leave his games just a bit too loose-ended, but we'll see. 

I note that navigation is still difficult. Didn't think I'd ever get out of that cave. But I did, and I found some glowing numbers on an island, along with some decorations on a stone-age necklace that should not be in 2000 B.C.

The Stone Age

Then I went to the far future, the games fourth time period, in 2090. No lighthouse survives on the site (although the children of one of the programmers are having nightmares about a lighthouse there. Uh oh!) Instead, there's an undersea (why?) base where they manage their space probes that will try to retrieve dark matter from deep space. One of their space probes, Malakai, has gone missing. And indeed, just as Drake was captured, the handyman on this base has suffered the same fate.


A room in the undersea pod

I took a different route getting to the future this time. Probably I did this once before, because a few things looked familiar, but I really had to figure things out! (Actually, I think I may have exited this way in a previous game). I went through the back wall of the 1912 lighthouse, and had to make my way up, or perhaps it was down, through a maze-like series of ducts, into the base.

Once in the base I had myself a grand time! There were plenty of clues to find, plenty of hot spots to click on, lots of things to do. I remembered just a bit of it, but I'm really stuck on one item. In one of the rooms is a robot with a remote control that has five colored buttons. Five is too many to hack your way through, but I can't find the verdamnten clue to the puzzle. So I stopped there. Couldn't find anything do to in the little first aid station either. Why let us in there if there's nothing to see or do? I must have missed something.


First Aid Station

But I sure did have fun, and played for quite awhile this afternoon.

Next stop: more searching. I have missed something. (I did enjoy seeing an "old" sci-fi magazine with David McCallum on the cover. Hah! He did a series in the UK called "Sapphire and Steele" which I never saw. I'll find it someday. Netflix used to have it but they deleted it before I could get it.

Also, there was a poster on a wall about "The Dowerton Experiment: new adventure game!" Nice reference to DarkFall 1: The Journal. I always enjoy finding these references to his and Matt's other games. Nothing wrong with a bit of self-promotion!)

Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment