What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Monday, August 27, 2012

Shivers 2: Out of the Basement



I'm out of the basement! Of course I remembered where the professor's desiccated, dry body was, and got the "Hieroglyphs Explained" book (I will certainly need that later). 

Then we have the task of moving the boat. I knew there was a trick to it, but I finally noticed that the cursor was pointing down at certain points. That's the problem with this half-screen view--you can't see everything as well as you should. However, I found the trick, and "rowed" the boat across the basement lake (I mean, how many folks have a lake in their basement? It's a museum of the "strange and unusual," after all). The shape of the cursor also can give clues.

And halfway across, the water ixupi jumps out and grabs some of my life essence. I know there's no way to avoid that. Once Dad managed to get that bit of life restored quite by accident later in the game, but I have no idea how he did it.

So I watched the professor's little video which tells you basically what you need to do in the game, and headed off down the next maze. Really not much of a maze, because this one has clues: you can see the direction of the lighting source. Follow that, no worries.

And I faced the first of the elevator puzzles. These are really kinda nifty. This one only has four squares so it's much easier than some others I remember, but it's still a little bit of a challenge! Solved it, rode the elevator up to the office, and saved there.

The stuff that made this game so good were the really excellent puzzles, good variety of puzzles, the outstanding graphics, especially for its time, and that little bit of fright factor from the ixupis. Plus, you can wander around at will once you open up new areas. In fact, you have to access the whole museum in order to win the game. It's important to take notes about where you left the pots and lids, because you can only carry one at a time.

Ah yes. This is as much fun as I remembered! Except for the half screen view, which appears to be unfixable.

Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment