What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Monday, March 31, 2014

Papers, Please 4: I Vill Continue!


OK, I'll admit it. This is a hard game. Completely doable, but difficult. Deceptively difficult. So I looked ahead in the FAQ, and I see that there are 20 endings, most of them bad. I kinda wanted to have a good experience, so I'm following its advice for the major storyline to get ending 19. I still have to make decisions about all the entrants and shoot random fence jumpers, so I'm playing normally, but I don't want to do all this and then be unhappy with the ending. 

I've had to go back and re-do a few days because I got major citations and that cut down on my money. However, last time I played I managed to get fewer citations. I didn't poison one of the spys, as the FAQ suggested, but I still have one more task for the EZIC organization to complete that ought to get me ending 19. 

Hope so, anyway.

Oh, not upgrading the apartment didn't stop the neighbors from turning me in. However, I let the right spy through, so I wasn't arrested this time. They did take all my savings, however. I still didn't upgrade the apartment because it costs more. I need to make money. So I'm still alternating between paying for food and heat every day. That, plus my bribes and kickbacks, helps.

They do keep complicating things. We have to deny all journalists, we have to give reasons for denials--and that wasn't easy to figure out. You have to link to the rule in the rule book to get the "reason" stamp. Otherwise you get a citation, even if your decision was correct.

The emotional stuff has continued with a few asylum seekers, and more bribes have come my way. I make money for detaining people, so I do that, except for the drug smuggler. He's the comic character in the game, and I want to keep him around just for kicks. When I find his drugs, he bribes me. As long as I don't have too many citations, I still make money by letting him through. 

I'm only about five or six "days" away from the ending. The game goes for 31 "days." 

It's a good game, worth finishing. It is tough!


No comments:

Post a Comment