What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Monday, March 31, 2014

Baldur's Gate 30: Still Slogging Through


I didn't want to let Baldur's Gate atrophy while I played a couple of other short games, so I went back and vanquished the last wyvern, and finished Durlag's third lower level. (My saves are there and the game is working fine! Whew!) The game allows you to awaken five heroes to help you fight the wyverns, but if you go in the back door, as I did, you don't really have access to them. However, I'd already slaughtered the first two wyverns and the last one seemed to be hiding back in the shadows, so I sent Ajantis through, hugging the south wall, and he was able to awaken the heroes. I judiciously used them to fight the wyvern. The wyvern slaughtered them, but not before they'd done damage to the wyvern. After that it wasn't too difficult to get the wyrm, although I didn't have room in the inventories to grab it's valuable head. Can't remember where to sell the thing anyway. 

After you slay the wyverns, the heroes are supposed to turn on you. However, as they were already dead, I just looted them for what I could carry. I've really got to start using my consumables. I've got the inventories all clogged up. I do this in every RPG I play, and I've got to start breaking myself of my hoarding habit.

Anyhoo, then I had four caves to clean out. Not too much trouble there, but once I did the last one I was immediately transported to the chessboard. The FAQ says to use the animate dead spell I don't have, so I summoned some monsters. That helped get the bad guys to attack. Then I made a mistake. I used stinking cloud, or cloudkill, or something, and although I easily won the game, I also nearly killed off most of my party. They all survived however, so I healed up and went through the door to the next area. There I met the ghost of Durlag himself, maybe, and was able to rest. 

So I left it there. Yes, the levels are getting to be more challenging, but at least I still mostly remember how to fight. Ergo, I'll go ahead and finish Papers, Please and do the latest Carol Reed (another one just came out yesterday). Will return to BG when I'm able.


No comments:

Post a Comment