What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Avadon 5: No Dungeon Today



Short entry for last night. Got slammed with Kirkus books (six in one shipment!), and even though I'm way ahead on the deadlines, I want to get a head start. The more I get in early, the more books I get, the more $$$ I make.


But, last night I tried to go down to the lower dungeon. Was able to do it, but only by using far too many potions and scrolls. Fortunately I always save at least two games. My major game, and a game for each new area. Plus, there are the "quicksave" moves that are really helpful. 


Anyway, I decided I didn't want to waste all that expensive stuff when I can just gain a few levels and go back later when I'll be able to do it easily. I mean, normally I do use the stuff, but not at that rate! I restored my major game at the beginning of that level, and willingly lost all the ghouls and augmented rats I'd killed, but I regained my stuff. (I did poke around and see what's in the area, first, however. Yup. It's a demon. It's making the augmented rats, so I'll have to get him. Later.)


Also, although I took my Shaman out to Kva the first time and liked her fine, this time she was almost useless except for healing. I mean, she has assault abilities, but she missed at least 75% of the time. The Sorceress is lots more useful. So, the Shaman can just go hang out in the castle gardens, gaining levels while the rest of us go and fight. Maybe there will be an area where she'll fit in later. We'll see. Pity I wasted an enhancement stone on her.


I did learn an interesting thing about the game in the dungeon, though. Your characters really don't die (unless the whole party is killed)--they just fall unconscious. They spring to life again as soon as the battle is over. That's much easier even than in Avernum VI, where you had to enter a town to revive your characters. And of course, in the earlier Avernum games, a character killed is a character actually killed. You had to find a high-level healer and play lots of coins to get your guy returned from the dead.


I do want to keep playing, despite the Kirkus books. If I stop I'll lose my momentum, which is the greatest thing about these games. I will cut down on internet surfing and keep the playing time down.


So tonight I'll go back to Kva, but with the sorceress and the other shadowwalker, I think. And I won't go far.


Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment