What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Monday, September 5, 2011

Avadon 7: Castle Dungeon, Conquered!


After my successful ogre and salamander slaughter, I thought I'd try those lower dungeons in the castle again. Yup, I had gained a couple of levels and I was able to do it quite well. Only had a bitsy bit of trouble with some quickghasts, who are tougher than just your ordinary ghasts. The boss fight with the demon went very well. I was able to charm one of his augmented rats. Also used a battle crystal that was really good. Must find more of those!


A bit of a complaint though: this is by far the easiest Spiderweb game I've played. Now, that's great in one sense. You do get to move along smartly in the game, and there are some challenges. But, for example, once your fight is over, your characters regain all their health very easily, after taking just a few steps. Before, you'd have to use potions, or enter a town, or have your healer do her stuff (I used to just wander around building up spell energy when it was inconvenient to get to a town to heal up.) Plus, while they do lose "vitality" (the new term for spell energy), they don't lose it very quickly. I've only used one "vitality" potion so far.


There was a cave in the opening section of Avernum VI, for example, that was full of ghosts who ate me for breakfast over and over again. I had to find the lightening spray spell before I could beat 'em, and even then it was a near thing. It took blasted forever to get that spell. However, once I did beat 'em, it felt great!


Difficulty can be more fun, by overcoming those frustrations.


Well, Jeff has allowed us to turn up the difficulty in the game if we want to do that, and I think I indeed will try it on "hard." It will be the first time I've ever tried any setting other than "normal" in one of his games. We'll see how it goes.


Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment