What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Avadon 9: Waiting for the Big Battle



Waiting 'cause I've already lost once. This one is a serious boss.


However, losing can help one prepare for the second try.


I have killed the five basilisks required by the beastmaster, along with varied spiders, rats, bats and wolves, and pretty much scoured out the two areas before the boss battle. I've collected plenty 'o loot, and have descended into the pit of magic.


There's a drake there. He does magic. He isn't nice.


Now, I know I can't just step up and massacre a drake, especially one that uses magic. However, I have learned that by forcing it to replenish it's "pets" when I damage them, it loses power.  Clearly, I have to last long enough to do enough damage that it becomes so weakened that I can kill it.


I'm frankly amazed at how long I lasted. My sorceress went down fast, of course, and I'm not sure it's worth it to try to sustain her. I mean, she's good, but she's easily damaged, and I need the healing stuff for my two shadowwalkers.


Confounding the issue is that you have to keep running from one side of the room to the other, or you'll become confused for a turn or two. Jeff loves this kind of puzzle. He lets two pylons glow red on one side of the room. You have time to move. If you don't move, you get hit by the pylon. However, I think I can stay mostly in the middle and be OK.


I've noticed that it's a waste of time to fight the various ghouls the drake throws your way. I need to damage the fighters instead, because that's what weakens the drake.


However, I've learned this stuff, and it's kinda late. I had lots of fun making my way into this lair--had a really nice demon to fight who kept sending imps my way. The only way to get him was to make my way to a certain spot where I could hit him with razordiscs. Otherwise the fight would have gone on all night. After I got him and cleared out the remaining imps, I figured out the puzzle to get in the portcullis. Not difficult, actually, especially if you know Jeff's games.


So, I've lost one battle with the drake, but I learned what I have to do. If I can keep both shadowwalkers alive I think I can get it next time.


Until then, it'll have to wait.


Sleepy times now.


Till tomorrow!


Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment