What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Friday, January 20, 2012

Avadon 17: Killed Again


So I got the bad guy this time. The trick is to used ranged attacks to see which of his dopplegangers is really him, then wail away on him.  So that was fun.


I'm now at the Castle Vebeaux, which I think is going to be the last major quest in the game. Wow, this indeed is a long quest. Fortunately, Jeff warns you about that while you still have time to go and stock up on supplies.


So I'm in the Castle Vebeaux, chasing down traitors to Avadon. I get accused of a vile murder that I did not commit, but hey, I did have to fight the guy, so you can kinda see why folks would blame me. That sets us off on a long quest into the Beraza Woods, this time avoiding the patrols that are out there looking for me. Mostly I manage to do this, with good use of the "quicksave" feature that are always in Jeff's games.


Finally I meet Hand Gavin, whom I'm not sure I trust. He sends me into a major battle, then shows up once I've won. He takes me down a tunnel that leads back to Castle Vebeaux, then disappears. So there I am at the undercroft entrance to the castle, which has an unopenable portcullis. I kill two sets of guards who shoot at me through the windows, expecting Gavin to show up once I've slaughtered them, but nope. He's nowhere to be found. Finally I had to go to the Spiderweb Forum and ask, how do I get into the castle?


It turns out that Gavin is there and is a good guy after all. He's just standing near the border to the area, but not in view. After wandering around all over I finally find him. He shows me a way into the castle. 


So I'm in the castle! But where do I go? I'm trying to get back to the pylon that takes me to Avadon, but it's blocked not only by mages and fighters, but by another closed portcullis. The game says, "You'll have to find another way in."


So I travel around the walls of the castle, killing guards. There aren't very many people around (presumably they're all in the Beraza Woods, hunting me. I find the Eye of Avadon who's there, freshly murdered. I do manage to loot quite a few nice items from the castle, but finally I can't avoid a major battle with a very good mage. That takes a lot of supplies (as did that fight in the woods), but I'm still good to go. 


By this time I've reached Level 30, the highest in the game (and something experienced players complain about). I dunno if I'm going to be able to gain more points to put into my training, or not. We'll see.


But now I've got a couple of minor fights, then a third major fight against the Duke's personal guards. That pretty much uses up my supplies. I'm out of resurrection scrolls, but I still have quite a few health potions. Plus, I still have some charges left on my Shard of the Phoenix, which recharges my whole party's abilities.


But I meet the Duke. OK, I do have an option to let him go. I choose the opposite. I mean, the guy killed three people I'm working with, including the Eye of Avadon. Clearly, he has to go, no matter how he argues for freedom. (I made the decision to stick with Redbeard pretty early on. If I want to do a replay, I'll be more of a rebel.)


OK, I don't think he's impossible to kill. He summons demons, but they seem to stay put and aren't really that destructive. I made the mistake of trying to dispatch them, but I should have concentrated on the Duke. He's immune to lots of attacks, but I did manage to damage him pretty well until I finally lost my sorceress. (She's turned out to be pretty good, once I got her dexterity up.)


But the dratted Duke gets about eight rounds to my one. I'm pretty strong by this time in the game, but with the odds that far against the player, you kind of expect to lose eventually. It was really frustrating.


So I'm going to go back and save just before I meet the Duke (I'll still have to defeat the personal guards again, because I didnt' hit quicksave. Idiot.


Then I can try both options. I'm looking forward to looting the place! Normally, once you've won a major battle like that (like three!), you ought to get major goodies.


So, back to it. If he's unkillable (I don't think so), then I'll go with the other option and just finish the game.


Next Post

No comments:

Post a Comment