What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Avernum Escape: 2



Ah, what a relief to be playing Avernum again! I think this series really may be my favorite games of all time, with the exception of The Lost Crown


I rather like the upgrades. I'm still not sure about the new skill system. I understood the old one. This one, not so much.


However, I also note that some of the innovations from the later games in the series have been included here, such as the teleporting between towns, and the little nature piles with goodies concealed in them.


I went back and played a bit of the original Avernum 1 on my IBM Thinkpad with 98SE, which I bought on e-Bay just to play my older stuff. The script appears to be almost exactly the same, which is great. I had lots of trouble moving in the old game. I think I may be able to slow it down a bit if I try again. It was just way too fast, both with the arrow keys and with a mouse. But yup, it's the same game.


Of course this one will have some new quests. So far I'm just doing the old ones. I cleared out the bat cave, which wasn't all that easy, actually. I also just got all the bandits, which was far easier than I remembered. I guess the Nephilim fight is next, but I'll let that wait until tomorrow.


Oh what fun to be playing Avernum again! 


Next Post

No comments:

Post a Comment