What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Avernum Escape: 4


So I have found the limits of the Demo. Above is the text that has the erstwhile-named "Shareware Demon" (that description from the original Nethergate--my first Spiderweb game). Also, although I was able to buy a boat (fortunately at the bargain price in Cotra, not the expensive one in Silvar), I won't be able to board my boat until I register.


So it seems that the Demo is confined to the eastern gallery, where we find Fort Avernum, Silvar, Cotra, Fort Duvno and Fort Dranlon. I've had major quest-encounters with bandits, bats, the bandit fort, the Nephalim mini-fort, some much tougher Nepharim, and I'm outside the major Nepharim fort. 


I have several quests that I won't be able to do until I register, which I will do as soon as I finish off the Nepharim fort.


And this indeed is enough playing area for anyone to decide if they like the game. There's already been plenty of Jeff's brand of ironic humor. I've bought a few spells that are coming in handy, and made quite a bit of loot, which I've pretty much spent. Well, I'll get lots more from the fort.


Then I will pay my reduced price for the game (I've bought all the other Avernums, so I qualify for the discount), and continue to enjoy!


Why is the Avernum series better than the rest? All of Jeff's games are good, but this one has this humor, and the freedom to move around a vast playing area. No clearing areas involved as in Geneforge, no switching characters as in Avadon, just steady gaming that strengthens your characters and improves your playing skill.  It's not that I didn't like those features in the other games. I just prefer the simplicity, or rather, the freedom, of this one. Jeff likes including lots of choices in his games--especially wicked moral choices, and those are interesting--but frankly, playing is more fun without 'em.


Just my two cents.


Next Post

No comments:

Post a Comment