What I'm Doing Here

Because I enjoy adventure games, I decided to start this blog and record my fun and frustrations as I play various adventures and some RPGs. I try not to spoil the games, so you can read and play, or play and read. I'm also reviewing some games, as I used to do in the past for Four Fat Chicks. I hope I'll spark your interest in playing, or at least entertain you with my musings. Please note that my musings are only speculations. You, or the game designer, may disagree with my opinions. At the end of each entry is a link to the next entry about that game, and you'll find a list of beginning links to the right, just under my cat's photo. Feel free to comment and play along! Enjoy!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Avernum Escape: 5


Just some brief play tonight. Have written a Kirkus review, and need some time away from it before I review it and send it in.


The Nepharim fort was a bit of a puzzle challenge. I should have been able to do it without any fights, but I missed the secret button, despite getting some rather vague directions from a well-placed escaped prisoner.


It wasn't easy, but finally I managed to find my way in to the prisoners and got them freed. I'm rather glad I don't have the hint book this time. I figure if I'm really stuck, I can use the Avernum 1 book, or seek answers on the Spiderweb Forum.


The Nepharim are much tougher foes than I've faced in this game. I tried a fight with a bunch of 'em in front of the fort and got slaughtered. Fortunately, you can enter the fort without triggering that fight. I did wind up fighting quite a few, but not more than three or so at a time, and did pretty well. I avoided the fight with the demons in the crypt, for now. Will have to remember to go back later when I'm stronger, massacre them all, and gather up the loot.


I do like loot.


I went ahead and registered the game last night, and for only $10. An amazing bargain, but Jeff is good to his steady customers. I'd encountered all the shareware demons I was going to find, frankly, and I wanted to get on with the game.


So I went to Formello, which has some nice humor from several characters, especially the librarian. I think there is more humor in the Avernum series, and in this game, than in most of Jeff's other games. Avernum 1 was the second of the Spiderweb games I played, and it really was the humor that got me hooked. Well, plus the exciting gameplay. As a purist adventure gamer, this turned out to be a quite different and enjoyable experience.


Wow, so there's Formello, which is the setting for a major quest in Avernum 6. Nostalgia. And dear Motrax is still alive. I do wish Jeff hadn't killed him off in a later game. I also found the first mention of the GIFTS, the Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders, which are a feature in Avernum and Nethergate.


Ah, I have so much fun to come!


Next Post

No comments:

Post a Comment